Sign in to follow this  
KillerX

nice 3.0 CSL 1972 for sale

Guest Simon*

So cool

These guys are in Chch by the looks, would love to look through that garage

They don't come much cooler than this.

I really think that these are some of BMWs best work.

Cheers

Grant

Agreed. One of the nicest shapes around.

But for the money I'd be happy with this

You could call it nice. Which would be a bit like Neil Armstrong saying that his trip to the moon was "OK". . . .

I believe that there were only two black CSL's originally built by the factory, and the other one is LHD and currently for sale in the USA for considerably more than this one. Less than 1100 built, only a small number in RHD, huge racing pedigree, doesn't get much better than this.

It's a bargain.

I agree - without checking pricing overseas, I suspect NZ$45k is pretty cheap if its all original (meaning unmolested) and in good condition.

There was a nice silver one going for 25k late last year ... sooo tempted. While it was mint (interior and exterior) .. It had modern wheels on it and a few other modernisations.

Seen this car in person, took some pics but have mis-placed them, really, really stunning...

Judging by the other listings, whoever owns it also owns the classic car place down on St Asaph St.

There was a nice silver one going for 25k late last year ... sooo tempted. While it was mint (interior and exterior) .. It had modern wheels on it and a few other modernisations.

I don't think that was a CSL?

One could argue this isn't a "proper" CSL either.

In much the same way a USA E36 M3 isn't a M3.

Edited by westy

One could argue this isn't a "proper" CSL either.

In much the same way a USA E36 M3 isn't a M3.

Agreed, the USA spec E36 M3's are lower spec. Kinda like a "decaf" version.

This particular CSL though is a verifiable "numbers correct" car, so regardless of the spec variations it has a confirmed pedigree. It's value is in that pedigree and condition.

It's unlikely that this particular car would ever be pressed into active track duty at this stage of it's lifecycle either, due to it's value continuing to climb.

I'm biased anyway. I've been abnormally fond of this model for decades, but they've either been out of reach price-wise, or totally impractical at the time, or simply rustbuckets. I've since scratched that itch by getting an E3 which is more practical. (Can you see how I've managed to justify the illogical? :rolleyes: At least my wife believes me . . . . )

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong but...........Why is it advertised and registered as BLACK when pics show it's blue?, Why do the numbers come up as a left hook '88 M635CSi? What happened to the CSL decals down the side? ALL 500 UK CSL's had the decals and 95% of UK CSL's had a front dam/spoiler, did this one have one and if so where is it?

I believe the BMW special cars had their own sequential serial numbers, which are unrelated to the std BMW serial, and don't come up on places like realoem etc.

This also occurs with the SA cars, and some of the earlier cars as well.

I believe the BMW special cars had their own sequential serial numbers, which are unrelated to the std BMW serial, and don't come up on places like realoem etc.

This also occurs with the SA cars, and some of the earlier cars as well.

In my experience, with the E3s, this isnt the case, it would appear that most of the pre'75 cars (suspect its actually whenever BMW went to the global standard VIN) havent been loaded onto their computer based systems.

My original 3.0Si did not exist according to Shelly Motors, and they insisted on viewing the car before getting parts in for it - claiming that I was reading the chassis number wrong - which is rather ironic, as Shelly's had sold the car new. However when I queried with Mobile Tradition, they knew the date of manufacture, and could have issued the car with a "birth certificate".

The only E3 of mine,- one of the 2800's, that worked with the VIN decoder, came up as a BMW Motorcycle :rolleyes:

As for the SA built cars, ignore the chassis number try using the engine number instead, it works for my M535i

Back on topic - while it might be a pretty tidy car, its still a "heavyweight" CSL, and for that sort of coin, I reckon that you would find a useable LHD "proper" CSL in Europe.

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong but...........Why is it advertised and registered as BLACK when pics show it's blue?, Why do the numbers come up as a left hook '88 M635CSi? What happened to the CSL decals down the side? ALL 500 UK CSL's had the decals and 95% of UK CSL's had a front dam/spoiler, did this one have one and if so where is it?

Have a look at the serial numbers on this page when you get a minute:

http://www.cs-zone.com/E9%20CHASSISNUMMERS.htm