Sign in to follow this  
mark247

Where did the coolant go?

So I just put another engine in my car, after blowing the old one up. The engine was an m50b25 I got from a wrecker. It has 140,000km on it. We put it in with no hassles at all and blead the coolant system properly ( we think. ) I took the car for a drive with the new engine and the coolant went down a bit which wasnt surprising and I topped it up, this was within literally the first 10km of having had that engine in my car. Since then I have done around 300km, and today the coolant check comes up on the OBC. I check the coolant and it needed topping up at least 1litre or so. This kind of has me worried.

Could of this been a big air lock? Is it using coolant?

There are no leaks, and the oil looks as it should.

Any ideas?

Guest FrantiC

If it's not in oil, not in a air lock, not leaking somewhere then it's most likely leaking into the engine maybe.. Usually it gives you a sweet sort of smell out the exhaust and white smoke (when engine is warm).

Have you pressure tested it ?

No I haven't. I think I will try and find a place that will do this today.

I'm not sure if this proves anything but, if I run the car until warm, and come back a while later and coolant system still has pressure... So it isn't loosing it at a fast rate.

If it's not in oil, not in a air lock, not leaking somewhere then it's most likely leaking into the engine maybe.. Usually it gives you a sweet sort of smell out the exhaust and white smoke (when engine is warm).

Doesn't smell and there is no white smoke when the engine is warm.

I'd still get it checked. It may have had an airlock. Did you have the heater on full hot when you bled the system? because the heater tap must be fully open and dont have the heater fan going. We vacuum fill our sytems to prevent this from happening.

I'd still get it checked. It may have had an airlock. Did you have the heater on full hot when you bled the system? because the heater tap must be fully open and dont have the heater fan going. We vacuum fill our sytems to prevent this from happening.

I had the heater on full, but i also had the fan on full.. I'll remember next time to keep the fan off.

Im pretty sure the M50 cooling systems take like 11L of water someone correct me if im wrong? And can be a night mare to bleed the system completly at times.

Im pretty sure the M50 cooling systems take like 11L of water someone correct me if im wrong? And can be a night mare to bleed the system completly at times.

Sweet as. I'm hoping this is the case.