Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

e39 540i cutout

Guess this should go here..

Own a 01' e39 540i. Every so often when slowing down from driving, at around 20 k's and under my car's warning lights etc flash on, the radio cuts out and the revs drop.....then it sweet. Twice it's cut out totally when driving slow (round parking lots etc) then slowing down and today it reset its OBC when it cut out.

Am yet to take it in to Jeff Gray or Autoworkx in town. Any idea what this could be? Just so that when i take it in i can maybe point them in the right direction, possibly saving me some coin.

Cheers for any help in advance.

Mavrick,

I'd be really careful if I was you and go get your car Diagnosed at a BMW place where they know what they're talking about.

My car was doing this a few months ago. I'm glad I sorted it. Helped me sleep again at night. :D

Good luck.

Edited by MS BM

Guess this should go here..

Own a 01' e39 540i. Every so often when slowing down from driving, at around 20 k's and under my car's warning lights etc flash on, the radio cuts out and the revs drop.....then it sweet. Twice it's cut out totally when driving slow (round parking lots etc) then slowing down and today it reset its OBC when it cut out.

Am yet to take it in to Jeff Gray or Autoworkx in town. Any idea what this could be? Just so that when i take it in i can maybe point them in the right direction, possibly saving me some coin.

Cheers for any help in advance.

Mavrick,

I'd say it was the ignition switch or accessory power supply fault, especially with the radio & OBC fault. Common fault with E39 ignition switches. Remove the column shroud and check accessory (violet wire) for systems voltage. Keep the volt meter on and turn the ignition on & off and make sure you get systems voltage every time. If you do, do the same check on both sides of fuse 41 in the glovebox. Failing that take it in and get it checked. Or come for a drive and I'll check it for you :P

Cheers for the advice.

Is a bit of a drive sadly, will take in into Jeff Gray Monday and see what they say. My warrants overdue by a week (my bad) so need to go in anyway.

Cheers,