Sign in to follow this  
arros

What's a e28 535 worth?

1986 e28 535i 155k miles (245000km?) E34 15 inch alloys. Pretty good nick. UK import. Good SH. Very little rust. Switchable transmission, LSD (i think) Guy wants around $6000 Is this reasonable buy. If the transmission hasn't been recon'd how much should I worry? Thanks

You can get scruffy E34's for $2000 and up, so I wouldn't want to pay more than a few hundred for a E28.$6000 :wacko:

probably a bit high , but a good one is worth grabing . quicker than E34 535i .150kg lighter and have 218hp 10:1comp ,E34 has 211HP 9:1comp .

but $6k seems a bit high . maybe around $3-4k if its good . trans are good but cost around $2-3k to rebuild . 2nd hand around $500-800 .

if it was a M535i or a manual one quite rear , would pay more for those .

You can get scruffy E34's for $2000 and up, so I wouldn't want to pay more than a few hundred for a E28.$6000 :wacko:

Price is probably closer to $5300 mark- but unfortunately has rust in 3 doors-rest of car if pretty darn good- have no interest in E34's - too 'common'... sorry...am..I allowed to say that.- but I take your point. A couple of people have said to me that while the likes of E34's are depreciating significantly, e28 are (perhaps/perhaps not) holding their value more- possibly more accurate to say that they are not depreciating at thr same rate.

probably a bit high , but a good one is worth grabing . quicker than E34 535i .150kg lighter and have 218hp 10:1comp ,E34 has 211HP 9:1comp .

but $6k seems a bit high . maybe around $3-4k if its good . trans are good but cost around $2-3k to rebuild . 2nd hand around $500-800 .

if it was a M535i or a manual one quite rear , would pay more for those .

I couldn't see any record of transmission having been recon'd and at 155K mls it's got me slightly worried- read that the the transmission that this e28 would have (ZP22 or 44 or something like that) is good for about 125K miles then should be overhauled/recon'd. Different people tell you different things- but even if you extended that to 150K mls- then??

Any advice . Thanks

its really bout right if its mint, pretty much exactly the same as mine, people were thinking about paying 8 for mine

Mint it is not- Probably describe it as good except for rust on the bottom of 3 doors- one where rust is statring to bubbling through. Others have holes. Very good paint Price probably more like $5300 rather than 6K. I had I very nice 86 525ee- brought it for $4800 3 years ago sold it for $3200- however a 535 is worth more so I shouldn't compare this with a 535 too much. I'd love one really great nick. For a really good one I'd probably pay $6000

its really bout right if its mint, pretty much exactly the same as mine, people were thinking about paying 8 for mine

In regards to my question: whether $6K was right for e28 535i you said that is about right if it is mint: it's not mint and the price would be about $5300. It will need 4 new tyres in the next year (=around $600 2nd hand Michelins/Continentials or the like) and 3 doors have rust so I would replace one door and hace other 2 welded: panel/paint ain't cheap= probably $500-600 total. A few interior bits- trim that is tatty etc. By the time I've done this I've spent $6500 for car in good condition but certainly not mint. I very much like the 535: so much car for the money, but when it goes significantly over $6000, I start to wonder if the car is really worth it. I bought an 86 525ee for $4800 3 years ago and sold it recently for $3200 (it was in very good nick). What does that say for the value of a 535 over $6K? Someone offering you $8000 would be slightly left fieldish even for a mint 535. How many km's has yours done bmwsparkle? Cheers Edited by arros

people were thinking about paying 8 for mine

were thinking of, but didnt...

hehe joking man!

IMHO I think that for 6 g you can get better than the car your looking at - If it has rust in 3 doors, where else is it silently rusting away...

And 245000kms is pretty high - ive seen these a lot cheaper with a lot less ks on them.

My advice would be to keep looking - there will be something a lot better somewhere for about the same $$$ - take your time and find a good one - you'll more than likely end up regretting it if you dont...

I think you're albolutely right Napier_E36. I wasn't sure before but now the more I think about it the more I realise there is something better- Heck: an '88 manual E34 535 with 120K mls for $7500 has to be a better buy- even if I do prefer the E28. Thanks for putting me right