Sign in to follow this  
sp8s

Cold starting

Gidday

My little compact has decided it wants to misbehave in the mornings or when siting so it gets cold.

Symptoms are, it takes more than one rev of the motor to start, now up to about 3 - 5 and when it does start it has a miss for about a minute or less unless you hold the revs up to 1000rpm then its a bit less time.

Now I have noticed there is an oil leak down the back of the motor and over the crossmember, front of gearbox etc.

Is there a sensor down there that could be getting oil on it and making the car a bit hard to start.

And yes my M44 used to only need less that one revolution of the starter before it kicked into life.

Have fitted new plugs a couple of weeks ago so should not be them.

No sensors there, but could be your battery on it's way out.

could be oil seaping into the a cylinders or coolant etc. start of a head gasget or cracked head .

has the engine ever been over heated or creaping up temps etc .

No sensors in the rear. The oil leak will either be a rocker cover gasket, sump gasket or oil filter remote housing. I'd say its probably got a sensor fault....get it scanned

Thanks for the tips

Silverfox = Brand new battery

Brent = Never got hot or even looked like it

Glenn = Booked in for a scan on Monday. will check the leaky places

320guy = Shouldn't have oil there because the plugs were changed a month ago by the garage but will check.

I did mention it only happens first start of the day or when my baby has been sitting for over 6 hours. Had to reread my post - dammed Alzheimers

Edited by sp8s

Thanks for the tips

Silverfox = Brand new battery

Brent = Never got hot or even looked like it

Glenn = Booked in for a scan on Monday. will check the leaky places

320guy = Shouldn't have oil there because the plugs were changed a month ago by the garage but will check.

I did mention it only happens first start of the day or when my baby has been sitting for over 6 hours. Had to reread my post - dammed Alzheimers

it blow any smoke when this happens , could be leaky injector ( over fueling will cause black smoke on up)

oil in cylinders will be thick white smoke that hangs around

water in the cylinders white/grey steam that disapairs

maybe the engine temp sensor open circuit or reading wrong temp (higher resistance will tell the ecu to increase fuelling)

worn out airflow meter etc

Jeez Brent I will be busy all day tomorrow looking at all that.

Nah Don't blow smoke (oil) steam (white cloud) or black smoke (over fueling)

Its only on start up if car has sat for a few hours. Starts a good as gold after first start with just a quick flick of the key, not even a full revolution of the motor its that quick.

All I can think of its only been doing this just after it started leaking oil which is why I thought there might be a sensor the oil was leaking onto. Oil leak is not that bad in fact the level on the dip stick is still at the same level as it was when it had the last service.

Guess I got a full day tomorrow.

Time to find a 323 or 328 to burgle a motor from.

Time to find a 328 to burgle a motor from.

Now your talking + manual