Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Cash For Clunkers

I'm not sure if this made NZs news but here as a part of the stimulus package the government has started a cash for clunkers scheme. Effectively if you trade in your old car that only gets a certain mpg you get $4500 for your old car.

A billion dollars was set aside, so basically 250,000 cars. The old cars are crushed.

This has been so successfull the billion dollars was used in 3 days. A further 2 billion dollars has been added.

They just showed a car lot of cars that are about to be crushed and amongst them were lots of pretty nice looking 5 and 7 series BMWs. I guess there will be a few less BMWs on the road in the US soon.

Cheers

Grant

They've got something similar going on in England I believe. A lot of cool 80s bmws are going to perish :(

They've got something similar going on in England I believe. A lot of cool 80s bmws are going to perish :(

Probably just old E30's

It's a pity my Passat with its 1800cc of turbo charged power doesn't get bad enough mpg to qualify.

and you wonder why the state of california is broke..

It is a federal program not a state program.

California is not broke anymore. After massive spending cuts it is now living within its means.

Was just talking to a couple guys in Florida 'bout this very thing, it seems the scheme has now finished 'cos the $ has been used up.

UK was following Germany and France's footsteps on this one. Not sure about US.