Sign in to follow this  
bmwsparkle

Z3 shifter install

nice nice. hmm wonder if hondas the same.... :pimp:

theres no pic of the finished product? Whats so good about z3? looks the same length?

the z3 m lever is round $125 ish...the z4 3.0 is round $140

i chose the z3 one has it has the longest length beneath the ball in the lever, whilst still having a good length above it ( so that its closer to the steering wheel)

the z4 lever would prob be about the same throw, but have the knob lower down....which is cool but not what i wanted

i heartily recommend a short shift...makes a huge difference and is loads of fun

Can anyone confirm whether the Z3 lever conversion is the same for sheet metal shift mechanisms as they are for the aluminum shift mechanisms???

Don't forget that there are a variety of Z3 levers to choose from depending on what you want :)

works for both.. my free welded up homemade rough as job used a lever from the alloy mount as a donor and works sweet (just don't look too closley at the weld not pretty)

Guest Andrew

Can anyone confirm whether the Z3 lever conversion is the same for sheet metal shift mechanisms as they are for the aluminum shift mechanisms???

Don't forget that there are a variety of Z3 levers to choose from depending on what you want :)

yeah gus has sheetmetal

Sorted, Tane and I are going to do this conversion over the xmas break, if anyone else in Welly wants to do this at the same time then let us know and we can all do it together and then afterwards we can sing Cumbuya while sitting naked around an open fire while the missus brews us a pot o tea.

Guest Andrew

Sorted, Tane and I are going to do this conversion over the xmas break, if anyone else in Welly wants to do this at the same time then let us know and we can all do it together and then afterwards we can sing Cumbuya while sitting naked around an open fire while the missus brews us a pot o tea.

damn - wish i lived in welly! :D

I put the Z3 1.9 in my car today, had no problems and lever went in very easy. Does anybody know if the stock 318 shifter is the same as the 6 cyl ones? Even the Z3 1.9 lever makes a big difference over stock. I'm glad i didn't go any shorter becuase my gearbox isn't the healthiest and the Z3 lever does make it a little notchy. Other than that I'm happy with it.

i got my b&m short shifter a few weeks back, problem; it was to long beneth the ball and was pushing the rod thing down onto a big balancer i have on my drive shaft :(

A word of warning for those intending to do the Z3 shift lever conversion who have the sheet metal shift console (early pre-FL models only). There's an additional step necessary to make the lever fit that's not detailed anywhere i've seen.

The sheet metal console requires the use of fitting upper and lower nylon cups onto the shift lever from both top and bottom. Since the original lever is a two piece setup this is easy but as the Z3 lever is a two piece that's moulded together using rubber it's not so easy as it's damned near impossible to separate the two pieces.

You need to separate the lever in order to get the upper nylon cup, spring, and spacer on. The only way you can separe the lever without damaging it is to heat the bugger up till the rubber is near smoking - but not melting - so as to melt the glue holding the rubber in place but not melting the rubber. Once you get this right the buggers will separate.

Cheers.

yea bending the "rod thing" is what im going to try and do, i installed it on a week night and wasnt going to dick around with it just incase so put the standard one back in just need to get around to putting it back in when i get some time

yea yea old thread I know but Today me and Ian (hartage)

Installed the 1.9 Z3 shifter into the car.

Replaced all the bushes etc (which I would recommend strongly)

and I bloody love it, it's not notchy like I heard it may be and nice and short.

HEAPSA FUN TOO!!!!

Big cheers to Ian for the help :thumb:

And f**k you to the knuckle that took a dremel to get off and last

but not least the Wellington weather today......I got my shake on..

Good for you mate, worth the effort isn't it.

Carl re our conversation the other day...some guys have done the z3 instal on the E34 but the Z8 is apparently the way to go...do you guys do the lever and cups only or more???

I did the lever and the cups although in reflection the cups weren't that bad at all, it's the knuckle at the end of the shift rod that should get priority replacement, after replacing that I got the biggest improvement.