Sign in to follow this  
Guner

Auxiliary Fan not switching on

Hiya, I posted an earlier thread called AC Fan not working, (e46)

It looks like the electric fan is also for when the car overheats.

Basically I got it all fixed a while ago and it's died again. Any suggestions of what might have gone wrong with it?

I've checked the fuses in the glove box.

Any help greatly appreciated.

the resistor mounted on the front of fan often go open circuit

Awesome, thanks heaps, it's a common problem yeah? - what do you mean by open circuit?

And also, how much would it set me back to have repaired?

Awesome, thanks heaps, it's a common problem yeah? - what do you mean by open circuit?

And also, how much would it set me back to have repaired?

open cicuit means , break in the circuit ie; no conection . broken wire , broken coil etc etc

When you turn your AC on, does the AC compressor clutch engage ? If it doesnt, the fan wont work either. The AC system may have a leak or be low on gas and the pressure switch on the receiver dryer wont allow it to work.

Also, do you get all the interior fan speeds on your climate control panel ?

I'd also note that before you start spending money, get it checked professionaly... and yes the AC system can be scanned on an E46 for fault codes to indicate where the fault lies

Edited by *Glenn*

When you turn your AC on, does the AC compressor clutch engage ? If it doesnt, the fan wont work either. The AC system may have a leak or be low on gas and the pressure switch on the receiver dryer wont allow it to work.

Also, do you get all the interior fan speeds on your climate control panel ?

I'd also note that before you start spending money, get it checked professionaly... and yes the AC system can be scanned on an E46 for fault codes to indicate where the fault lies

Cheers Glenn - yeah you can hear the AC switching on and the fan speeds do work inside the car.

I actually had all the AC repaired about a month ago - the Aux fan had died which caused the compressor to burn out.

The AC will work at the moment when the car is in motion, just not when stationary.

I'm surprised the Aux fan has died again so soon tho.

I'd take it back to the repairer...I'm sure they would sort it for you

I'd take it back to the repairer...I'm sure they would sort it for you

Was some repairs the dealer sorted out for me when I bought it a couple of months ago unfortunately.

Was some repairs the dealer sorted out for me when I bought it a couple of months ago unfortunately.

It still should be under warranty to the repairer though. Find out who did it through the dealer and get them to sort it.

It still should be under warranty to the repairer though. Find out who did it through the dealer and get them to sort it.

Cool - thanks!