Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Tyre storage

Chaps,

Its probably going to be a while before I get to put the 18' Alpinas onto another e39/e38 so Im wondering what the best way of storing the tyres is going to be.

They are still on the alloys, are brand new Falken FK452's and worth a fortune. So how long will I be able to store them sitting on their side for? Is that the best way of storing them or would I be better off just selling them ?

It could be as much as a year before I get to use them again, worst case a little longer but I dont want to use them and find they are knackered because they havent been stored correctly.

I have had my R888's sitting on their side for more than half a year, in varying states of mounted and unmounted. When I finally got around to using them they seemed fine?

I was a bit paranoid, and had all the sides that faced up mounted on the outside to balance any unevenness.

I was wondering if rubber conditioner or similar would be beneficial or not - to stop them drying out. But then again, most of it is a silicone compound..

we keep our race tires wrapped up in black plastic in the dark. Also sometimes give them a light coat of silicon spray.

Just send them up to me Martyn, I'll look after them for you. :rolleyes:

ps. they will fit the E23 745 won't they? <_<

make sure you lie them flat and it is probably best to try and keep some air in them if they atre on the rims. Alternatively you could just take all the air out but you may have to get them rebalanced if and when you put them back on the car.

Guest Simon*

Just send them up to me Martyn, I'll look after them for you. :rolleyes:

ps. I know they fit my car

:D

Posted Image

Main thing I have been told is to keep them out of the sunlight - even through windows etc. it can perish the rubber. A good spray with a decent tyre cleaner / conditioner / shine would help as well.

If you want to be really picky you could turn them every month or so, to make sure they don't deform while they are lying on their sides.

Should be fine for a year, I had my Avon's on the car for two+ years while it was in storage, and they were fine.

BMW actually issued a service bulletin on this topic - SI 36 04 99 (502)

Basically, keep it dry, cool, dark and OFF the ground (on a wood pallet or something).

If the tyres are on the rim, you can hang it by the wheel nut holes or stack sideways off the ground. But if you must store upright, inflat and maintain tyres pressure to 3.5 bar during storage.

If the tyres are off the rim, then only store upright and rotate them regularly (once a week or so) to help it keep its shape.

Avoid anything mineral based to come into contact with the tyres, which would dry them. Plastic bag/wrap is not recommended for fear of trapped condensations which could lead to corrosion.

Edited by my_e36

Chaps,

Its probably going to be a while before I get to put the 18' Alpinas onto another e39/e38 so Im wondering what the best way of storing the tyres is going to be.

They are still on the alloys, are brand new Falken FK452's and worth a fortune. So how long will I be able to store them sitting on their side for? Is that the best way of storing them or would I be better off just selling them ?

It could be as much as a year before I get to use them again, worst case a little longer but I dont want to use them and find they are knackered because they havent been stored correctly.

best you get rid of the toy and buy a decent car then... :P