Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

Engine stuck in 1st gear?

Hi everyone,

I just went to take my car out for a drive and it wouldn't change out of 1st gear (its an automatic). Reverse worked fine and I tried changing the gears manually using 1,2, and 3 but that didn't do anything either.

It has happened once or twice before but I just turned it off then back on again and it worked fine the other times, although that didn't do anything today.

Its a 1989 e30i.

Anyone know what this problem might be? And how to fix it? Or any more information I can add that might help?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

maybe your selector??

Had the same problem in my car, to get home i had to floor in , then coast , floor it, coast ,all the way home.sloved the problem by getting a manual conversion , well worth it imo,

Sorry i can shead much light on whats wrong with it, but it does sound like your gear selector.

Had the same problem in my car, to get home i had to floor in , then coast , floor it, coast ,all the way home.sloved the problem by getting a manual conversion , well worth it imo,

Sorry i can shead much light on whats wrong with it, but it does sound like your gear selector.

haha yeh sounds like selector to me same thing happened to my mate easily solved with a manual conversion :P ahah

Yeah sadly I don't have enough money to do that atm.

Someone should change Kaz's title from 2nd Gear to 1st Gear :P

i have an auto box that you could have for a couple of dozen beers, BUT i wouldnt know where to start with pulling in out, my engine removal skills only go as far as lifting my corollas engine in by myself by hand haha , for some reason i thing the 320 gearbox would weight the same

it wont be your selector if you have reverse gear, id say something inside your transmission is dead, or computer if its an electronic controlled transmission.. not to ask stupid questions but is it full of fluid?? as if the fluid is too low it will only get 1st gear...

Someone should change Kaz's title from 2nd Gear to 1st Gear :P

Haha shhh :D

it wont be your selector if you have reverse gear, id say something inside your transmission is dead, or computer if its an electronic controlled transmission.. not to ask stupid questions but is it full of fluid?? as if the fluid is too low it will only get 1st gear...

I checked the fluid and it wasn't low. Could probably do with a little more though.

Thanks so far for your help everyone.

Edited by Kaz

Failure to shift from first to second gear is usually caused by a sticking governor. If this is the case, sometimes the trans will start shifting normally once the fluid gets really hot. It is not usually a good sign, total loss of drive often follows.

If you are lucky the problem could be caused by the kick down cable being too tight. Disconnect the cable, if it shifts normally again, thats the problem.