Sign in to follow this  
318is

This will be totally suck

Barnett Wants To Ban Exhaust Mods

07/12/2004 10:04 AM - NewstalkZB

A private members bill is likely to be introduced to ban modifications to exhaust systems on cars.

The bill was proposed by Christchurch Central MP Tim Barnett at a residents meeting in the city.

The Christchurch City Council listened to more concerns from residents about the level of noise coming from boy racers.

Police also attended the meeting.

Mr Barnett hopes the bill will follow legislation implemented in New South Wales and Canada.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

From Xtra web site. How many here will be effected..100% ??? :thumbsdown:

haha good luck

i really dont see it working

so if someone has a modified exhaust and they cant hav a 'modified' exhaust so that means they hav to buy a OEM facotry one which will cost lots

i dont see it happening

not gonna happen. to much $$$ for many tuning companies

trust me there will be a MASSIVE poo dumped if it does.

actually what would be utter class would be to drill a hole in that dudes exhaust so its loud then people will call him a hypercrite i would be halerious

The problem is, is that if everyone assumes it won't become law, it just might. What needs to happen is, people like ourselves need to publicise the bill and get other like minded individuals up in arms about it. We need to talk to motoring enthusiasts and clubs, parts suppliers, the AA and local MP's.

We need to demand that the motring industry is consulted, and that there is a submissions process. We need to make submissions if there is.

Otherwise you can forget it, and if modified exhausts go, whats next?

whats next after this ?

you can't smoke and drive your car.

FACT...from the tenth. This country is :thumbsdown:

Left wing morons.... oops I will proberly be taxed saying that.

Well from my point of view you should only be aloud to mod you system if it (after every thing is in and working ok) makes the same or less noise as the factor one.

The emissions laws have to come in at some point and it would all so be a good place to start

Ummm.... Isn't there a noise limit already anyway?

Supposing this new law goes ahead, instead of replacing my ageing exhaust with cheap aftermarket one, (or even free in my case :D ) I would have to go to bmw and fork out lots of coin for the genuine article.

This country is starting to piss me off - the western springs speed thing comes to mind.

Damn people who go round looking for things to complain about. :rambo:

well what about the XR8s and SS/HSVs - they are pretty bloody loud to start with - aparently some of the XR8s came from the factory exceeding the 90dB limit...

what about cars that have to have a large exhaust system? This guy probably drives a little Dihatsu Charade with an exhaust pipe no bigger than this: O

I dont believe its fair, but if the government puts this bill thru, then I think every one affected (and its not just boy racers - what about the 4x4 nuts who get them modified and the like) should put the bill in to the government for the cost of putting it right. Or maybe they will make it like the import frontal impact laws - if it was done before a certain date then it cant be touched etc...

Very unfair anyway...

I dont think you'd be forced to get a genuine BMW exhaust you just wouldnt be able to get one 6 inches wide that makes a badass pwning of bmw honda sound like a roaring jumbo jet.

Its not worth jumping to too many conclusions.

Im interested to hear about the emissions test though. Is there not one in NZ currently ?

What about a dirty big wastegate?

externals are already not legal unless properly plumbed correct me if im wrong, ie screamer pipes..

Im interested to hear about the emissions test though. Is there not one in NZ currently ?

there are no measured emmissions tests but the wof test is supposed to stop any one with a really smokey car or LOUD exhaust .......I guess most wof testers are deaf or like noisy cars....I have nothing against modified exhausts but some of those big bore jobs are LOUD.Dont get me wrong my 535 has a derestricted rear muffler,but there has to be a limit some cars are just too loud .