Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

Question involving m10 engines

Can anybody tell me if the twin carb manifold and exhaust manifold from the e12 m10 2.0 will fit onto an m10 1.8 from an e30?

I'm pretty sure it will bolt up, but I think the 1.8i head has larger ports. Found this when I used a gasket set from an earlier motor

I'm pretty sure it will bolt up, but I think the 1.8i head has larger ports. Found this when I used a gasket set from an earlier motor

I hope so, there doesn't seem to be any 2.0 motors around...

So the dirty hotrodder has got a case of the restorer disease huh

Thought it was too good to rod

Good one Save it for the younger generation so they can appreciate how cars should be and not made of plastic.

Can anybody tell me if the twin carb manifold and exhaust manifold from the e12 m10 2.0 will fit onto an m10 1.8 from an e30?

Should bolt up Ok, I've done it the opposite way (a 318 manifold on to a 2L M10) You may have to also change the front coolant housing as the E30 one may interfere on the carbs

You'll probably also have to change the sump and the oil pump.

Note the distributors of E12 & 2002 rotate the opposite direction to E30's If you're going to use the E30 dizzy then you'll have to grab the E30 ignition module and associated wiring. (probably a worthwhile exercise) If you're planning on using the E12 dizzy then you'll have to change the cam shaft.

I'm not certain but the E30 block also may lack some of the threaded bosses required to attach the engine mounts.

Edited by 2002

I'm not certain but the E30 block also may lack some of the threaded bosses required to attach the engine mounts.

I think the problem is the other way - a 2002 block can't go into an E30. I've got an E30 engine in the 2002 at the moment.

So the dirty hotrodder has got a case of the restorer disease huh

Thought it was too good to rod

Good one Save it for the younger generation so they can appreciate how cars should be and not made of plastic.

Yeah, I've always liked classics but never thought I would end up wanting to restore something. I think it drives rather well for such an old girl, slower than a wet week in a kayak though and makes some terrible noises

Should bolt up Ok, I've done it the opposite way (a 318 manifold on to a 2L M10) You may have to also change the front coolant housing as the E30 one may interfere on the carbs

You'll probably also have to change the sump and the oil pump.

Note the distributors of E12 & 2002 rotate the opposite direction to E30's If you're going to use the E30 dizzy then you'll have to grab the E30 ignition module and associated wiring. (probably a worthwhile exercise) If you're planning on using the E12 dizzy then you'll have to change the cam shaft.

I think I would be better off ripping the 2.0 apart and seeing how glazed the bores are and how munted the bearings are. I'm not sure if I'm getting clutch thrust bearing noise or a bit off big end, there is a rumble when I bring the revs up. Good fun!

I think the problem is the other way - a 2002 block can't go into an E30. I've got an E30 engine in the 2002 at the moment.

Ok I was recalling that there was an issue when I looked at putting one of my 2002 engines into Alice (E30) before I sold her to Westy.

I'm running an E12 block in my 2002. There are a couple of minor differences between it and a 2002 block (ie dipstick location) but if you can get an e30 block into a 2002 it should also go into a E12.

You may also want to note that the E30 uses a smaller clutch than the E12, you'll probably want to change the flywheel.

Have a look at the www.2002faq.com forum, lot's of people have used E30 bits for their 2002's their experiences should be also applicable to E12's

Ok I was recalling that there was an issue when I looked at putting one of my 2002 engines into Alice (E30) before I sold her to Westy.

I'm running an E12 block in my 2002. There are a couple of minor differences between it and a 2002 block (ie dipstick location) but if you can get an e30 block into a 2002 it should also go into a E12.

You may also want to note that the E30 uses a smaller clutch than the E12, you'll probably want to change the flywheel.

Have a look at the www.2002faq.com forum, lot's of people have used E30 bits for their 2002's their experiences should be also applicable to E12's

Thanks for that! I will look further in to it

Mate just buy this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=235811136 you can use all the running gear, pretty sure your manual will bolt up to the M30 as well.

No motor in it mate :unsure: Would be neat though, but the body I have is in very good condition! Well, I took all the rust out today, a hole around an inch long under the top of the boot rubbers. A couple of bubbles on the RHS passenger door and had to make a piece for the bonnet.