Sign in to follow this  
ranton

650i has Runflats, can we run normal tyres?

Hi all...

I've been a member once before long time ago...

I'm the Care Take of the family Automobiles as it stands...

my old Ladys 650i convertable has the 19inch wheels on it with the RE050A RFTs

now the replacement cost for the rear tyres is just plain obsene!

somewhere near 1200 each....

Can you run non RFTs on a car fitted with them OEM..

I personally hate driving on RFTs i think they are to stiff and noisy and way over priced!

------

Car is only driven around town and we can have a can of tyre foam in the boot in the case that something does go pop!

so punctures and no spare bases are already coverd...

will the sensors throw a tanty at me?

Looking at RE001A Adrenalines to put on instead...

I drive on Adrenalines in my MPS and i love them..

Cheers

i think its just a sensor on the rim itself.

we deal with cars that drive on run flats and just tell firestone the watch out for the sensor wich is next to the air valve? im pritty sure

You can 'normal' tyres on run flat rims although it is preferential to use run flat tyres. However some people do not like the ride given by runflat tyres so prefer to use a 'normal' tyre.

Run flat rims are constructed differently to normal tubeless rims. They have a deeper and stronger bead.

From memory most BMW's do not have the sensor in the rim but rather in the hub.

What size are you currently running? Let me know and I will price up some options for you

cheers.

Edited by zenetti

we deal with cars that drive on run flats and just tell firestone the watch out for the sensor wich is next to the air valve? im pritty sure

Some are a valve sensor setup (like my aftermarket set), but I think there is also another system that is sometimes used for OEM (possibly run off the wheel speed sensors - not sure). Either way, a reputable tyre shop that is careful and knows what they are doing should see you right.

Edit: looks like Johno beat me to it...

Edited by elmarco

Some are a valve sensor setup (like my aftermarket set), but I think there is also another system that is sometimes used for OEM (possibly run off the wheel speed sensors - not sure). Either way, a reputable tyre shop that is careful and knows what they are doing should see you right.

i thought the abs system senses the speed difference in the wheel..

Thanks Guys Appreciate the Replies and help...

elmarco Posted Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Cheyoice

zenetti Posted Yesterday, 06:01 PM

You can 'normal' tyres on run flat rims although it is preferential to use run flat tyres. However some people do not like the ride given by runflat tyres so prefer to use a 'normal' tyre.

Run flat rims are constructed differently to normal tubeless rims. They have a deeper and stronger bead.

From memory most BMW's do not have the sensor in the rim but rather in the hub.

What size are you currently running? Let me know and I will price up some options for you

Hey Zenetti..

The car has the Factory Converatble 19's the rears are supposed to be 275/35/19 fronts would be 245/40/19

Thanks man

bmw335i Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

Ok will keep this in mind also!

Pjay Posted Yesterday, 05:15 PM

As far as I know, the important part of run flats are just the tyre themselves, not the rim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-flat_tire

But surely just recalibrating the TPMS would see past that?

When mum changed her 120i's runflats to regular tyres ages ago she noticed that it sort of 'floated' around the place a bit more... but probably just to do with the particular tread or whatever....

Find out whether you have direct or in-direct TPMS.

I was told that TPMS will complain a lot more if using non run-flat.

Yeah, thats what I mean. Although the aftermarket ones like I have in the 330 use the valve sensor.