Sign in to follow this  
MADBMA

door problem

ok guys been awhile since ive been here, ill admit ive kind of let the bma fall to sh*t in that time anyways thought id see if anyone can offer some advise, i dont like giving my car to the mechanics to fix what i can, she hasnt been to a mechanic for a good few years last time was for a clutch job, which if i had the chance would do my self now but anyways enough rambling my problem:

car: 1994 E36 318is coupe

my door locks have been playing up for awhile now, sometimes central locking works sometimes it doesnt, the drivers side door now will only unlock with the key, not via the alarm central locking system, the passenger side door just started playing up in the last few weeks, sometimes would unlock with central locking sometimes not, but just yesterday the passenger side door didnt want to lock at all, i put my key in it and managed to lock it and what do ya know now it doesnt want to unlock....

being as its locked in the closed position this is a bit of a problem, if i could get the inner panel off i could play around and sort the problem but as you need the door open thats a bit difficult, so was wondering if anyone had any ideas, key wont work on the outside it will only turn to lock the car but not unlock, pulling the handel on the inside gives you false hope, the little lock pops up then goes back down when you release the handle.

so any ideas? the only idea that pops to my mind is to destroy the inner door panel to get to it and buy a replacement, but hopefully someone can offer somthing else, im confident enough to fix the problem IF i can get the door open.

Cheers.

Hay Mate

I would admit if you can get in the car i would take the inner pannel out and replace the whole lock, and the whole door's not unlocking i have the same thing on my E28 when the battery gets low or my wiring is playing up.

ultimatly i belive the door lock has a double locking sytem (my e28 one does) where it double locks and is near impossible to unlock.

- check your wiring, my wiring for the central locking was on the left hand behind the speaker, but once i put some new relays in there is working a carm and common old wiring will give up.

1. Check wiring and battery charge

2. replace or CRC door lock

just remember these cars were designed on being left hand drive not right so alot of the double locks etc are on the other side

the locking solinods play up on these cars

have some in stock if needed

thanks guys magically it unlocked when i finished work to drive home, pressed the unlock button on the alarm and it unlocked!! :wacko: , ive left it unlocked for the night and will take the panel off tomorrow and see if i can sort out the problem.

Cheers Brent might hit you up for thoes solinoids, but ill check it all tomorrow and get back to you, think it might be time i gave the old girl some much needed love, ive been neglecting her a bit.