Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Virus

Last time I went looking for a good antivirus I found half a dozen online reviews and they all pointed at the same 2 or 3 different apps like bit defender and kaspersky. But without having used them I cannot recommend them.

I can recommend Kaspersky. Bloody nice interface and I never had any virus's with it, can't say the same about Norton.

I run Spybot, Adaware, & the pay for it version of AVG with antispyware on Mozilla, never had a problem, but system scan was making applications so slow I had to add another 1/2gig of ram.

I would suggest Nod32, well worth the money. especially for a business.

Glenn, where you using the Corp Version of Norton or a Joe Public Version?

I used this (older version) at my old work where we had 33 pc's to protect, including cmm machine controllers, cnc machine controlers, and didn't have any issues.

http://www.symantec.com/business/endpoint-protection

We are currently using this covering over 2000 pc's.

It runs from a central server, and all you do is install a client onto the desktops... It's not very invasive.

Typically it's the live monitoring of anti-virus programs that kill pc performance espically where there is lots of data being written to a machine. you should be able to setup the program to ignore certain directories/file types to help resolve this: i.e. if the dia. machines create temp files in directory xyz then you should be able to exclude directory xyz from live scanning, or the temp file that the dia. machine creates.

have a look at: http://www.symantec.com/business/products/...ndpt_prot_sbe_1

Edited by DRTDVL

Not sure of the version we had. I'm an automotive technician not and IT guru. With all the new computers etc we have just installed I would have thought my IT guy would have protected me from this. I've now downloaded Spybot onto all our computers. The computers dont get normaly used for anything but related work business...so we should be ok now. I was just searching for some Nissan info for my daughters fiancee when I got the spyware

lol look what i started.

Any Mac users want some help with anything pm me.

I work for Renaissance fixing them all day.....

Guest FrantiC

Hmm. I don't see how people get viruses, Unless they get you from an e-mail or download it obvious as?

What I do is:

Disable windows firewall.

Disable windows updates AND security center (so it doesn't have a cry about windows firewall and updates).

Spybot search and Destroy is WIN.

Get yourself Firefox and download NoScript. NoScript is WIN. Stops all scripts running on pages, Like java, flash etc pages in the background. You select what you want to allow.

I haven't had any spyware or viruses on my computer in a long time. I don't even use a firewall.

I would suggest Nod32, well worth the money. especially for a business.

I use Nod32, and then run Windows Defender every now and then.

Also helps having a decent hardware firewall ... some routers are good at providing protection, but another way is to get a cheap / free old pc and chuck a linux firewall distro on it, like IPCop.

Firefox also helps, as does making sure that Windows is fully up to date.

Standard norton is sh*t.

Enterprise versions of norton is good.

I hate noscript.

And tbh I run no antivirus protection at all and I never get virus's

Guest Simon*

I work for Renaissance fixing them all day.....

Oh dear, not a good advertisement for them there ;)

Guest FrantiC

Yeah I also run nothing in terms of 'protection'. only spybot, and i use noscript with firefox. Nothing wrong with it, it's great. Can be annoying, But hardly.

Spybot found 5 more files we missed yesterday... all sorted now though and the other PC's are clear

Considering how many are sold the failure rate hardware wise is not bad. Same as any decent PC because PC/Mac pretty much same thing hardware wise.

Considering how many are sold the failure rate hardware wise is not bad. Same as any decent PC because PC/Mac pretty much same thing hardware wise.

we've had a 25% DOA on the new HP laptop order we had last month... whoo

We used to have Norton's but it slowed all our diagnostic gear down... thats why we went to AGV.. it wasnt a cost thing... I still had 11 months of Nortons left

Typically it's the live monitoring of anti-virus programs that kill pc performance espically where there is lots of data being written to a machine. you should be able to setup the program to ignore certain directories/file types to help resolve this: i.e. if the dia. machines create temp files in directory xyz then you should be able to exclude directory xyz from live scanning, or the temp file that the dia. machine creates.

Heath speaketh the truth.... Some virus scanners use heuristics to look for unusual activity as well as scanning for a specific virus. If you add the directories that are used for writing data to the exclusion list, it can stop it grinding the machine to a halt.

IPCop is also very good, use to run it here, reliable as.

and I swear it stopped a lot of viruses/hack attempts.

90% of most virus we get at work are through USB devices i.e. usb pendrives, external hard drives, etc...

90% of most virus we get at work are through USB devices i.e. usb pendrives, external hard drives, etc...

Yeah, that's usually the way it goes eh.

reviews of the top 10 antvirus programs

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
remember this is American pricing

Personally I use GData internet security at home. I got the ummmm free version lol.

Have tried most of the rest and found this to be the one that uses the least amount of system resources.

Edited by sp8s

NOD32 System security business edition (Firewall + Antivirus), Spybot with windows defender in the background = best security imo. I also have Adaware for scanning everything once in a while (not active all time, but this may be a bit overkill).

I hate viruses/malware/spyware/phishing crap.

Norton is also not recommended, it's a heavily commercialized antivirus designed to look nice, NOD32 is the computer geek's choice!

On the subject of PC's.. I have another question. I'm running a D link with an aerial extension for my wireless which is in the main office with the server. Signal strengh in the workshop is excellent. However the signal strengh to the computer above the main office where the aerial is, is absolute crap and I keep loosing the wireless connection. I'm running 3 PC's, the server in the main office, a PC in the workshop and another PC in the office upstairs which is the one giving problems

Any ideas ?

Couple of Ideas - I can work out computer problems :P

High gain wireless card + arial - for the machine above the main office, I'm running one in this machine, and I can pickup the camping ground down the street.

New Wireless access point - D-Links are known to be quite sh*t, model dependant.

Go wired.

or something else is wrong, driver update on the machine perhaps?

Edited by antil33t

I'm running a Netgear router...could it be that or will I just go get a different high gain aerial ?

The Dlink aerial is a ANT24-0501 SMA2.4 Ghz 5dBi

Edited by *Glenn*