Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Virus

I spent 3 friggen hours getting rid of the Trojan "Personal Antivirus" off one of my computers today......all I can say is "BASTARDS"

Well for the future, download Malware Bytes for scanning purposes.

Will save you a few grey hairs!

I much prefer mac to windows tbh, for everything I use a PC for. Keep in mind I don't game at all.

A G4 at mums, 2 G5's at dads. Also a G4 powerbook. Now these have never crapped out once. EVER, like ever ever. Even the little mac classic I had as a kid still runs Kidpix without skipping a beat, and thats over 15 years old. I've restored my sisters Vista laptop twice in the 6 months shes owned it.

Only flaw I see in a mac. The ONLY flaw, is the lack of functionality from the [Tab] button.

the lack of functionality from the [TAB] button.

I don't bet on the GG's though :P

I'd only ever buy an Apple laptop...

Much more cost/performance out of a windows machine.

/me pets his purdy 3TB of drive space.

Macs look funky and have a nice interface but that is about it. A mate of mine got mac notebook few weeks ago, because he really wanted a mac, but now spends 90% of his time on it running Windows inside a virtual machine. Why? Because most of the tools he needs for his job are just not available for Mac. So it kind of beats the purpose. And he could have saved himself at least $1000 if he got the same spec Windows based laptop. That is the biggest problem with Macs IMHO.

That's not a problem at all? Being able to run Virtual Windows is a benefit..

That means Macs can run... EVERYTHING

Stay off dirty sites :)

There is plenty of viruses around for Macs now too. And the fact that they use the same hardware as PC's but charge 2-3x the price.

I just can't get past the price of a Apple.

I have not had a virus on my PC for well over a year. And I engage in unprotected downloading on a daily basis. Funny thing is I use to get most of my viruses through MSN and Emails. No longer use MSN and never touch emails from unknown people.

Set my PC up so that if I do get a virus I can just format it and reinstall within an hour or so.

Stay off dirty sites :)

Dirty sites ??? .... if I need filth... I come in here and read what some of you guys do to BMW's :P

haha

such as converting a 4 door into a coupe?

:P

haha

such as converting a 4 door into a coupe?

:P

Lol... would have to agree with you on that one :P

LOL @ Brook.

Anywho,

running windows on a Mac is terrible, you loose all your battery life,

and virtualising isn't much better...

but hey, that's really only for laptops?

The only thing that my mate can't run on his macbook is Delphi, but he won't need to for much longer.

Back on topic . When it happened..I immediately removed the wireless aerial to prevent other PC's getting infected. Left the pop up on and did a full virus scan.... AVG came up with nothing... no virus ?? It was spyware Checked on the nett and found the removal instructions...had to do it all manualy

AVG is free for a reason Glenn....

You can get away running free net-protection software, but you usually need to run a few different bits of software to catch everything. I've got a system running only free software (Avast antivirus, Spybot, Adaware) and it's only had one virus in 3-4 years and that was installed by a shithead cousin installing a peer-to-peer application.

But if you want simplicity, and one package that will do it all without letting anything through you may have to pay for it.

AVG is free for a reason Glenn....

What would you suggest I use then ??

Im going to set myself right up now for a major meltdown, but Ive never had any virus/malware problems using AVG (or avast), spybot, adaware along with sygate firewall.

What the Mac boys need to remember is no virus writer in their right mind is going to write a virus for hardware thats 10% of internet users.

We used to have Norton's but it slowed all our diagnostic gear down... thats why we went to AGV.. it wasnt a cost thing... I still had 11 months of Nortons left

See above for a free solution that will catch most (I was editing my post).

At work we use an enterprise antivirus. its deathly expensive, but it covers our 100-odd computers from a single central installation with daily updates (or more frequent if required). Probably not the solution for you.

Last time I went looking for a good antivirus I found half a dozen online reviews and they all pointed at the same 2 or 3 different apps like bit defender and kaspersky. But without having used them I cannot recommend them.

I used to use AVG, but the annoying pop-up screens and crap reviews made me bin it.