Sign in to follow this  
mogwai

Bluetooth/Nav/Ipod Advice E46

Hi

I've spent a couple of days now reading dozens of forums on Nav setups, and it's proving to be a mission just working out the various types and setups etc..

I would like to say Thank you now to anyone who takes the time to read this post and provide some insight.

I would like to expand the capabilities of the stereo system some what. It's not the greatest in the world, but i do also have a limited budget.

• With the likelihood of cellphone laws being changed, i would like to install a bluetooth kit to my 09/2000 e46 touring. (chassis - eg15323). It has a MK2? nav system/TV with 4:3 display and the car phone cradle in the centre console, (although now replaced with cup holders :) ) I was thinking of a parrot system similar to http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=237681258 Can it be connected to the existing phone wiring reasonably easily so to mute the radio etc? I'm not really into full Bluetooth integration with the BMW kit, partly because of cost, but also we don't want a "flash" system, just enough to answer and conduct a call safely.
  • If Ipod integration is possible, again with out too much expense, what are the best options here?
  • I also have an alpine amp with speaker level inputs. Can i attach this after the factory amp? I intend to use it to provide some more power to some alpine components i've installed in the back and also maybe a sub in the well under the boot floor
  • And i tried all the button combinations to get the TV to display while driving. No success <_< Is there another way?
I'm not to fussed on getting the Nav going, we have a Navman type setup which we use out of town, maybe 2 to 3 times a year!

I have some limited knowledge/skills with electronics and cars, but will more than likely enlist the services of an expert if what i want to achieve is beyond the realms of a builder like myself.

Any advice and help you can offer is greatly appriciated

[*]With the likelihood of cellphone laws being changed, i would like to install a bluetooth kit to my 09/2000 e46 touring. (chassis - eg15323). It has a MK2? nav system/TV with 4:3 display and the car phone cradle in the centre console, (although now replaced with cup holders :) ) I was thinking of a parrot system similar to http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=237681258 Can it be connected to the existing phone wiring reasonably easily so to mute the radio etc? I'm not really into full Bluetooth integration with the BMW kit, partly because of cost, but also we don't want a "flash" system, just enough to answer and conduct a call safely.

The BMW system is the bees knees, and the best, and can be had cheap on ebay. Plug and play with your existing telephone connections, existing microphone, existing sound system, etc.

Everything else is a hack and doesn't work nowhere near as well.

[*]If Ipod integration is possible, again with out too much expense, what are the best options here?

Best option: Intravee (www.intravention.co.uk) - full display, full control, absolutely supreme

Simplest option: swap radio module for later version with AUX-IN, use the AUX-IN (no control, no display)

[*]I also have an alpine amp with speaker level inputs. Can i attach this after the factory amp? I intend to use it to provide some more power to some alpine components i've installed in the back and also maybe a sub in the well under the boot floor

You can use that setup with any car in the world. Because it uses speaker-level inputs, so connect it to the speaker of your choice.

[*]And i tried all the button combinations to get the TV to display while driving. No success <_< Is there another way?

Use my NavCoder software, it'll enable TV for you by changing the configuration (coding) of the TV tuner.

www.siegenthaler.co.nz

I'm not to fussed on getting the Nav going, we have a Navman type setup which we use out of town, maybe 2 to 3 times a year!

But the BMW system is the best, and nothing beats the built-in nav system. Even for in town driving.

Saying that "it doesn't go" implies you have an ex-Japan imported BMW.

You can readily update the nav system with either a Mk3 nav (cheap) or a Mk4 (more expensive) to make it 100% NZ compatible.

Ebay is a good source for parts.

Hi

I've spent a couple of days now reading dozens of forums on Nav setups, and it's proving to be a mission just working out the various types and setups etc..

I would like to say Thank you now to anyone who takes the time to read this post and provide some insight.

I would like to expand the capabilities of the stereo system some what. It's not the greatest in the world, but i do also have a limited budget.

• With the likelihood of cellphone laws being changed, i would like to install a bluetooth kit to my 09/2000 e46 touring. (chassis - eg15323). It has a MK2? nav system/TV with 4:3 display and the car phone cradle in the centre console, (although now replaced with cup holders :) ) I was thinking of a parrot system similar to http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=237681258 Can it be connected to the existing phone wiring reasonably easily so to mute the radio etc? I'm not really into full Bluetooth integration with the BMW kit, partly because of cost, but also we don't want a "flash" system, just enough to answer and conduct a call safely.
  • If Ipod integration is possible, again with out too much expense, what are the best options here?
  • I also have an alpine amp with speaker level inputs. Can i attach this after the factory amp? I intend to use it to provide some more power to some alpine components i've installed in the back and also maybe a sub in the well under the boot floor
  • And i tried all the button combinations to get the TV to display while driving. No success <_< Is there another way?

I have some limited knowledge/skills with electronics and cars, but will more than likely enlist the services of an expert if what i want to achieve is beyond the realms of a builder like myself.

Any advice and help you can offer is greatly appriciated

hi,

I have done a complete retrofit of all the items you mentioned on my 99 coupe, it is a great system being all genuine and fully integrated etc..

there is always someone else that has done the hard work already!

you are welcome to "check it out" if you are in the Hawkes Bay at some stage or any questions just ask..

Edited by Dogballs

Possibly a dumb question - How tricky is it use a USB memory stick to store songs on it and play them through the stock system? Easy or better off getting Ipod or CD MP3 changer?

Possibly a dumb question - How tricky is it use a USB memory stick to store songs on it and play them through the stock system? Easy or better off getting Ipod or CD MP3 changer?

Extremely easy if you use SD card instead of USB stick.

The CP600BMW is a replacement for the Cd changer.

Can be used on any car with the ibus-controlled CD changer (E46, E39, E38 from approx 1998, X3, X5 (non idrive), Z4, even the later E34s.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unplug the CD changer, plug in the CP600BMW and you have a SD card reader that can handle over 1,000 songs, supports text display of artist and title on almost any model BMW radio, uses full radio controls, and is of really good quality.

Posted Image

Will be on the market any day now.

Much better than those cheap shitty chinese USB stick readers...

Edited by jochen

That CP600BMW looks like a fantastic system.

+1

The ipod connection systems are pretty good, but this takes it to another level. Be interested to seee the $ when released.

Looks cool and will surely be cheaper than the Intravee II setup.

Downside I imagine it is stuck with 6 playlists (CD's) as BMW default.

Intravee II gets around this with up to AiNet limited 514 playlists.

Looks cool and will surely be cheaper than the Intravee II setup.

Downside I imagine it is stuck with 6 playlists (CD's) as BMW default.

Intravee II gets around this with up to AiNet limited 514 playlists.

The CP600BMW is recognised as a CD changer and uses the same CD changer protocol.

So it is limited to 6 x CDs, whereby each CD can hold hundreds of songs

Each CD is a directory and the CP600BMW can recurse sub directories as well

The text display happens in the same way as the Intravee - it overwrites the display generated by the nav

hi,

I have done a complete retrofit of all the items you mentioned on my 99 coupe, it is a great system being all genuine and fully integrated etc..

there is always someone else that has done the hard work already!

you are welcome to "check it out" if you are in the Hawkes Bay at some stage or any questions just ask..

Hi,

Any chance I could have a look? I'm in Napier so can come to Hastings no problem.

Which ULF did you use and where did you get the parts?

Cheers

Matt

Hi,

Any chance I could have a look? I'm in Napier so can come to Hastings no problem.

Which ULF did you use and where did you get the parts?

Cheers

Matt

Hi,

sure you can - what day are you thinking?

i got a new mk12 unit off ebay where i got most of the bits..

call 0274 927 277 or email deanherrick@hotmail.com

Dean

That CP600BMW looks like a fantastic system.

just so you know: it's now on the market for EUR 239,- ex postage but including european VAT (might be different for exports)

I love it (got a beta) as in my car it works like a charm. This is not a definite factor though, it may work differently in various models and configurations as the beta testing showed. nevertheless: as a changer replacement it worked fine everywhere.

link to sellers?

PM Jochen, He knows the guy who built it - I think

an update to those interested in the development:

The original 'cd-changer replacement' goal is reached. From that point of view no more beta status.

For additionals such as the ID3TAG display, new software is being developed. For those interested in such things: here is a bit of footage from a test:

Looking really good :)

I notice its getting cold over that side of the world ! Would love to know when this product is availible. This is a very very good alternative to getting the expensive intravee II setup.

I notice its getting cold over that side of the world ! Would love to know when this product is availible. This is a very very good alternative to getting the expensive intravee II setup.

November was the mildest in many years. Now it's just irritatingly cold + windy, not really winter yet. But yes, the wintertyres are now common. So gone are most nice rims and sporty tires. Back to big, black and rough stuff.

The CP600 is available in Europe. As a direct replacement for the cd changer, the product is mature and offered as such.

For the additional stuff like song title display as shown in the video there is now a new beta test running.