Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

E30 Driveshaft Vibration Problem

So I have removed the harmonic balancer on my driveshaft after fitting a Z3 shifter to my E30. Now the whole car vibrates like mad so I would assume this would cause it? Do I need to get my drive shaft rebalanced? Or should I just grind down a little metal on the shifter rod and be done with it?

Edit: So after some research I don't think it makes any difference if I have one or not. I will just recheck all the bolts and mounts tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Help is appreciated and needed ASAP.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

Im not sure if this would help but if you split the driveshaft inhalf at any point you have to put it back exactly how it was because they are balanced from factory as one piece.

^ Hasn't been split in half, so I am thinking I have loose bolts. Maybe I have bent the driveshaft refitting it? Idk kinda annoyed right now.

Thanks though Mark

Edited by Forrest

^ Hasn't been split in half, so I am thinking I have loose bolts. Maybe I have bent the driveshaft refitting it? Idk kinda annoyed right now.

Thanks though Mark

I doubt you bent it.

Is your hanger bearing all good? If that is lose it could be flopping about

Edited by Mark247

^ Hanger bearing was fine and the boot wasn't split. It was a big rush to get it together today, I am just going to recheck everything tomorrow in the bright light and see where I have messed up. The only other thing I could think of is gearbox mounts are loose (but that would cause it to not change gear properly) and the hanger bearing isn't bolted down in the correct place.

fwiw, I separated my drive shaft when I did my manual conversion and put the longer front half in. I didn't get it aligned and it drove without any noticeable vibrations..

fwiw, I separated my drive shaft when I did my manual conversion and put the longer front half in. I didn't get it aligned and it drove without any noticeable vibrations..

Interesting. Im just going off what I've been told.

^ I havn't taken this driveshaft apart...so I am totally lost where I have mucked up, and I have taken them out time and time again and this is the first time something has gone wrong.

^ I havn't taken this driveshaft apart...so I am totally lost where I have mucked up, and I have taken them out time and time again and this is the first time something has gone wrong.

Tomorrow in the light you will be able to find the problem easy as I bet ;)

On another note, the z3 shifter and that bushing from Jason are good eh, I just put them in my car when i converted it to manual. Tight as ****. Now I just need a gear knob haha.

^ Yeah they are amazing. Also I will note it doesn't vibrate when idling, so that counts out gearbox mounts. When it shakes it feels like its in front of my feet and under my seat i.e bolts from driveshaft to guibo/gearbox and hanger bearing mount Also have put a urethane diff mount in but It shouldn't feel that different (and I had the same one in my old car). So I am thinking my hanger bearing mount is on the piss somehow, maybe not entirely straight <_<

And yeah lets hope it is easy to fix, on holiday from uni starting tomorrow so want to get out and enjoy driving a BMW again!

Edited by Forrest

^ Yeah they are amazing. Also I will note it doesn't vibrate when idling, so that counts out gearbox mounts. When it shakes it feels like its in front of my feet and under my seat i.e bolts from driveshaft to guibo/gearbox and hanger bearing mount Also have put a urethane diff mount in but It shouldn't feel that different (and I had the same one in my old car). So I am thinking my hanger bearing mount is on the piss somehow, maybe not entirely straight <_<

And yeah lets hope it is easy to fix, on holiday from uni starting tomorrow so want to get out and enjoy driving a BMW again!

Holidays are mean. I'm driving my E30 down to Wellington next week sometime to see my parents, I should drop by and have a gork.

^ Yeah man sounds good, I will pm you my mobile number.

Anyone else have any ideas I havn't covered? LSD Diff has brand new Redline oil in it with friction modifier which I fitted today. Has new shocks all round, urethane bushes all round, gone from 3 deg camber on camber plates to 1.5? OEM setting on standard top mounts, new control arms, urethane subframe bushes + diff mount. Obviously a wheel alignment will help, but the vibration isn't through the steering wheel.

Edited by Forrest

I'd guess rear wheels not balanced correctly, you wouldn't feel that through the steering wheel and it is hard to tell where it comes from. There's not really much it could be though haha.. That and a munted Guibo/CSB is about it.

I think I might have to have another look at mine... ever since we replaced the Driveshaft mount/bearing it's been vibrating a bit.

I don't rember a centering sleive :/

Small update:

Went over all the bolts again this morning. Found one of the gearbox mounts was loose, and re tightened everything, drvieshaft -> gearbox bolts, driveshaft -> diff bolts, center hanger bearing mount bolts, gearbox mounts, retightened rear subframe bolts.

The only thing I didn't do was engine mounts cause the car decided to spit coolant all over the garage floor <_<

I then took it round the block and the vibration is worse. * I did notice it doesn't vibrate in reverse, only in the forward gears, can any one shine any light on this for a n00b? *

I had the car on axle stands going while the car was driving in gear and the driveshaft is not rotating entirely round, most noticiable at the center mount = busted bearing???, the whole motor shakes when reving it a lot more than I had noticed before so maybe it is engine mounts too? Or my mind is playing tricks on me :mellow:

Guess this afternoon I will pull the exhaust and driveshaft off and see if I am missing anything/fitted something wrong. Wish me luck.

Any other points feel free to add, this is pretty frustrating.

Edited by Forrest

You said the hanger bearing was not on it's propper mounts. I'd say its not lined up. Why cant you mount it properly?

Guest FrantiC

How can it not? It's not like you can really move it side to side or front/ back.

Check your diff bolts.

Doh, nvm didn't realize you had done so..

Edited by FrantiC

Massive fail officialy hate E30's, tried to take the exhaust back off (which i put on about 18 hours ago), and the exhaust stud came with it <_< FML. So semi tempted just to either roll the car off a cliff OR tow it to a mechanics garage and get them to fix it.

The hanger bearing is mounted in the right place, and it does slide back and forth, but it was tensioned and sitting where is was before.

^ Yeah just another PITA

Also, went and just had a look to see if I could adjust where the hanger bearing is mounted a little, and guess what? Have now noted that the metal outer ring that holds everything together has snapped clean off at both sides, so that can't have been helping. I think my little drive around the block may have f*cked it :( I am pretty sure it wasn't like that when I took it out of the car <_<

Edited by Forrest

Guest FrantiC

Get a new hanger bearing, Do the guibo while your at it unless it's new.

Problem solved. Take a break too!

They are all easy jobs but they are all f'ing annoying as well when ya under the car lying no concrete!

^ Will do. Dw I took my frustration out on a old E30 cluster...didn't know what hit it lol.

I will get a new guibo and hanger bearing mount.

Thanks to Hartage I now know I am not missing anything off the diagram, so hopefully the above new parts will fix it.

Edited by Forrest

OH BUGGER.

I think I put the guibo around the wrong way, which caused it to misalign the driveshaft and destroy the hanger bearing. F&*K x 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

See here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=26&fg=10

I forgot it has arrows <_<