Sign in to follow this  
bmw_guy

e30 cuts out?

Hey guys,

Probably something small, or knowing my luck something huge. Do not know much mechanically at all about cars.

Basically when i am driving along, regardless of speed my e30 will cut out. Everything stops. As if i have turned off the key whilst driving. I have had to pull over many times and turn off the key and then back on again. However sometimes it will simply turn back on again. Has done it a few times now. Wondering whats up? Can't be good surely.

Let me know.

Thanks

Brook

Yup first thing i notice is my music cuts out and then i hear that my engine is to

same thing would happen to me in my corolla. ended up beeing the distributer. but it would very in how long it would take for the car to start again from 20 sec - 2hrs

Your battery terminals on nice and tight? :wacko:

Yes not that dumb

Yup first thing i notice is my music cuts out and then i hear that my engine is to

If you are losing all power including there stereo and lights etc, check your battery terminals, and the earth for it.

I went over a bump the other day and lost all power and stopped, battery had come undone ( because i never did it up haha. ) Rather embarrising but it was a good excuse to use some unnecessary acceleration when fixed.

same thing would happen to me in my corolla. ended up beeing the distributer. but it would very in how long it would take for the car to start again from 20 sec - 2hrs

Yes mine varies between instant back on and 20 secs

If you are losing all power including there stereo and lights etc, check your battery terminals, and the earth for it.

I went over a bump the other day and lost all power and stopped, battery had come undone ( because i never did it up haha. ) Rather embarrising but it was a good excuse to use some unnecessary acceleration when fixed.

Although come to think of it it is when i boost haha (318i) gets bumpy

My car, on the odd occasion, loses engine power for about half a second while driving. The Tacho drops to zero then the car instantly comes back on. Who reckons fuel pump?

*Actually, thinking about that more, must be more too it than the fuel pump, the tacho dies too...

Edited by Incary

My car, on the odd occasion, loses engine power for about half a second while driving. The Tacho drops to zero then the car instantly comes back on. Who reckons fuel pump?

*Actually, thinking about that more, must be more too it than the fuel pump, the tacho dies too...

Do you lose all power or just the tacho?

Losing all power is kinda scary.. esspecially when ya on a motorbike, at night time, going down the kaimais, at 130kmh... and hello! Pitch black!

Edited by Mark247

When dad was looking under my car, he said one of the big earths looked like it would need replaced soon?

+1,

this is what myn does

Do you lose all power or just the tacho?

Losing all power is kinda scary.. esspecially when ya on a motorbike, at night time, going down the kaimais, at 130kmh... and hello! Pitch black!

Hasnt happened at night so not sure if i lose all but surely if my stereo and what not turns off then everything will?

Guest FrantiC

Is your battery light on?

Sounds like alternator to me... Had the issue driving home at night and the headlights dimmed down all the time and headunit would cut out.

Yup sounds like it.

Batteries on its way anyway

It happens so fast no lights come on.. Really lurches in 2nd gear when it cuts haha, it's like the injectors just switch off for 0.3 secs, hasn't happened for a week now though.

Have had a few issues with electrics every since putting solid engine mounts in, nuts must be backing off all over the place!

Same thing happened,just suddenly started dying, then eventually ran like a sack.

Alternator was dead.Easy fix.

How much?

Get one from Mosens. I have one of an M50 which you can have if it fits but I am unsure if they do. Troy and/or I could put it in for some beers.

EDIT: Hit two birds with one stone and get your girlfriend an m40 alternator for 1 year anniversary prezzy.

Edited by Mark247

Guest FrantiC

Guy on trademe sells them $100 recond' ones. Sure hes a member on here, Don't know his username but his names Grant.

Piss easy to install.

Guy on trademe sells them $100 recond' ones. Sure hes a member on here, Don't know his username but his names Grant.

Piss easy to install.

Hotwire, he's on here.