Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Suggestions for a friend

I have a friend with a budget of $10k or less. He wants a station wagon as new as he can afford, with as low kms as possible that doesn't look like a Mum, Dad and the Kids wagon.

He's not a car guy, and just wants something cheapish, newish, reliable and able to cart camping gear etc, but still look ok.

He's been looking at '99 Caldinas, Caribs and Familias.

Any other suggestions?

My ex GF had a 99 caldina. In one year, the only thing she did was put gas in it and get it serviced once. I hope it has broken on her now, but I doubt it.

I also had a Carib, pretty much same deal. Most reliable car I have ever owned hands down.

We bought an 01 Ford Focus for 8k over a year ago, so should be able to buy a much newer one for cheaper now.

The newer Mondeo wagon is a good looking car with plenty of kit and a nice drive too. A quick search on TM has dozens of 2005/06 Mondeos between 10-12k, a little less for a year or two older.

Our Focus had more room in it than the 528 touring.

Edited by Penry

Newer shape Nissan Stagia's are cool.

Sacked out Mondeo's look good.

I ended up with an E30 when searching with a 10k budget :unsure:

Edited by Apex

The newer Mondeo wagon is a good looking car with plenty of kit and a nice drive too. A quick search on TM has dozens of 2005/06 Mondeos between 10-12k, a little less for a year or two older.

+1, The new Mondeo wagons are pretty good cars.

Lots of cars fall in this price range.

Nissan Stagea, Mitsubishi Diamante Wag (Do not get a GDI one). Toyota Camry.

What sort of "size" does he want?

hehe 406 2.0 hdi

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-234699660.htm

plus diesel runs for ever and super good on gas... (490km on 1/2 a tank in my 1.9ltr older style turbo diesel)

or

3.0 v6 auto

Visit My Website

2003 new cambelt (2.0 pet auto)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-237243371.htm

Edited by DRTDVL

Actually, I can se potential in those Heath, good value and much much better than some boring Jap crap wagon, they are in killer need of some massive wheels and a massive drop though.

How easy is it to get mags for them and how easy are they to lower say 40mm? Tell the truth now :P

+1 to Stagea, Mazda 6, Legacy GTB

Or a Legacy B4 3.0 boxer six, they are more reliable than the turbo and are chain driven, some good deals going on them at the moment too.

Mazda 6's are not 10k and they are boring as fork.

Actually, I can se potential in those Heath, good value and much much better than some boring Jap crap wagon, they are in killer need of some massive wheels and a massive drop though.

How easy is it to get mags for them and how easy are they to lower say 40mm? Tell the truth now :P

17's not super easy but lots of adaptors out there. 306/206/307/407 wheels also fit so there is a large selection of factory wheels availables and the cars coming out of japan tend to have aftermarket wheels. I know a few of the wreakers are importing cars for parts from japan with nice wheels on them...

also 206 gti 180 wheels are the same as the 307 wheel (17inch 5 spoke) which look nice...

Talk to Keith about Lowering springs... 35mm drop is tons and would still allow him to clear things...

standard 406 sedan...

Posted Image

406 sedan lowered on 406 coupe wheels:

Posted Image

406 sedan on 17in DTM wheels:

Posted Image

Edited by DRTDVL