Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

Huge Costly Dent

Hi Guys,

I have one hell of a beach of a dent in my passengers door.

However, it is not one of those easy ones to fix. It is a vertical impact one located right beside the lock and handle, which involves taking the whole door apart. It is also involves repainting half the blerry car, because they need to smooth the paint into the fender and the rear panel. This is through a mate and will cost $500 to fix, so is cheap.

Just wondering if there are any other options? My mate did it but is (naturally) gutted about the cost as neither of us were expecting it... so will take ages to pay... providing they actually do. As a mate I don't want to small claims it cos thats just plain rude on my part but if it comes to that....Don't want to ruin my no-claims bonus either.

What are the positives and negatives of getting an entirely new door? Are the seals the same and also is it possible to change the lock barrell?

Basically just wondering if there is any better way!!!? Im so guts that James is un-mint...it hurts to see :(

Cheers

Em

I would think it would be easier to replace the door,

and as far as i know, the barrel is inter-changeable.

How'd your mate manage to do that :?

save yourslef the panelbeating bill and buy a new door. They're cheap as chips (hard to get rid of, probably $120 at best). Get paint colourmatched and fitted (paint in the arse to fit) and you'll probably get away with $350 but thats just a guestimate..

sh*t that's no good Em. Buying a new door is the only way to go. Make sure they do a good job and paint right around to the inside of the door. Your car is one of the mintest e30's in stock condition ever - I'd hate to see it ruined by a bad fixit job.

When I did both my drivers side doors in the 320 4-door, I replaced the front guard and both doors for about $150 or less, and paint was around $400 for th whole drivers side plus blending.

So for 1 door you might get away with less than that.

Good luck!

Post a picture of the dent.. I have seen the dent Magician do some…um Magic on my cars.

Failing that try and find a door that is the same colour as your car… might not be easy.

Things i would be concerned with a new door would be the condition of the doors paint. If your going to have to get the door repainted anyways why not stick with what you know... cost of the new door vs cost of dent repair with either you will still need to blend the paint with the rest of the car if it needs painting.

Dent Magician. $120 per panel.

Yes but how many coupe doors are there in bronzit? (Im assuming it's bronzit :P)

Unless you get a completly different colour, although that would be a bit 'bastardising.'

Cheers for all your replies guys.

Went an visited another panel beater, he said $300 max, for dent repair and blending. Thats probably the best we're going to get down here...the only issue is getting the bloody guy to pay... ah the joys of BMW's. :)

Em