Sign in to follow this  
BMRBOI

Reregistering a cancelled vehicle

Question, to reregister a vehicle (which my smart mate didn’t put his rego on hold) back on the road does the vehicle need to meet current import standards?

No, doesn't need to meet import standards- LTSA have compliance standards to make sure it's safe to be on the road, and apparently the compliance crews are pretty strict. I take it it's been a year since the registration's lapsed?

Do a search for Compliancing- there's more about it on this site.

shouldn't be to bad . just a tuff wof check , all brakes pulled apart . no chips in the screen ,. all suspension joints like new etc .

about $300 for vin test plus about $200 for plates reg etc

If there is ANY rust. Forget it. If the car has ever had a moderate to serious accident. Forget it.

They check things like seatbelt wear, seat movement (worn out joints etc), exuast volume does matter at compliance.

If you can find something wrong. They will find it too. Even carpets are lifted to search for rust etc.

Yeah, well it had engine problems and he just never put it on hold so it lapsed

No, doesn't need to meet import standards- LTSA have compliance standards to make sure it's safe to be on the road, and apparently the compliance crews are pretty strict. I take it it's been a year since the registration's lapsed?

Do a search for Compliancing- there's more about it on this site.

It’s a 1992 Nissan pulsar gtir

Is it an E30 that you want to re-register?

The body should be sweet, it will probably need a really good clean I would think. It was in excellent condition until the engine died. The car does not have airbags from factory would this effect it or it should be fine as its been registered here before.

If there is ANY rust. Forget it. If the car has ever had a moderate to serious accident. Forget it.

They check things like seatbelt wear, seat movement (worn out joints etc), exuast volume does matter at compliance.

If you can find something wrong. They will find it too. Even carpets are lifted to search for rust etc.

Because it already has a Vin number it should be fine to get re-registered. Airbags do not matter if it did not come with them. If it did. You will need to replace them.

hmmm got a 93 civic coupe in my garage that im working on.. damn sis kept driving it when the coolant temp was on red. killed the engine.. just got a new one in but the rego has lapsed as well.

atm new engine is in, driven it about 500 meters drives like it did before the accidentall sweet. atm repainting the whole thing in my garage, and probably touch up on minor rusty bits. it has air bag.

need to know what those stringy guys at compliance would look for so i can get the car prepped. might need to change the drum brakes at the rear LOL!! looks hideous !!!