Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Forum change to how photos are displayed

There have been a few changes behind the scenes just recently with how photos are displayed.

You may have noticed the raw image is shown rather than the thumbnails of before. Mostly this is so we can try and educate everyone to resize their images before they post them.

Sure we all have fancy camera's with 8+ mega pixels but the resulting file sizes are massive and completely irrelevant when displayed on a forum such as bimmersport.

So can everyone please make an effort to resize their photos before posting. Its not hard, there are multiple ways of doing it and good knows how many ways described on the web.

Self policing is where its at so please think about it before you post.

Cheers

There have been a few changes behind the scenes just recently with how photos are displayed.

You may have noticed the raw image is shown rather than the thumbnails of before. Mostly this is so we can try and educate everyone to resize their images before they post them.

Sure we all have fancy camera's with 8+ mega pixels but the resulting file sizes are massive and completely irrelevant when displayed on a forum such as bimmersport.

So can everyone please make an effort to resize their photos before posting. Its not hard, there are multiple ways of doing it and good knows how many ways described on the web.

Self policing is where its at so please think about it before you post.

Cheers

so resize them to be say 800x600???

What if hosted elsewere?

I know with Photobucket it can resize them for you when you upload, I'm sure others can too.

Guest FrantiC

I know with Photobucket it can resize them for you when you upload, I'm sure others can too.

And Imageshack, but I mean is the whole issue the file size of photos being uploaded to BS? Or is it big pictures in general? As in can we upload external linked images without having to resize?

Most easy way of resizing if you are a noob:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...wertoySetup.exe

All you do is right click on a picture and select resize, done.

(I use Photoshop CS3 however and adjust levels etc. Takes longer doing them one by one, but looks better)

I mean is the whole issue the file size of photos being uploaded to BS? Or is it big pictures in general?

Both, Resizing when you upload with Imageshack/Photobucket will make the files smaller anyway.

Bloody hell some of you do it the hard way.

Just open it in paint, control-w, then make it smaller! It even takes it down from like a 500mb photo to a 250kb photo. Looks the same at the size wanted.

The first pic is a jpg saved in paint, the second is a jpg saved in CS3. Both have the same dimensions.

The paint jpg is 195kb, and has so much noise in it, the brake hose, the logo on the tank, the fins on the engine etc

The CS3 jpg is 177kb and has better colour grading and no noise at all.

Takes the same amount of time (with practise haha) to - Alt+Ctrl+I > 1000 > enter > file > save for web > slide bar > save - as it does to do it the paint way.

:) smiles!

post-1573-1252120762.jpg

post-1573-1252120782.jpg

Mate, theres f all difference. I can't see any difference. (Call me blind)

I'm guessing most people don't have CS3. I have, but opening paint is faster etc etc.

Whoa, I can actually see it in the brake hose. Thats cool

Guest Simon*

3rd party host sites (imageshack and photobucket etc) don't count as the images are hotlinked into the forum. They aren't hosted by BS so the only issue with them is "page-friendliness"

It's not blurry lol, it's soft, it is smooth, not grainy and sharp and noisey.

I'm sure anyone with photoshop XP would agree with this

but as I said, the microsoft power tool re-sizer is the easiest and best way for generic photos.

Ignore my suggestions though :P , I take photos like this:

Posted Image

E: Resized your picture because posting a 2000 pixel wide image in a thread about oversized images is the height of fail. Good day to you Sir

Edited by Simon*

Thats a cool photo. More! Maybe a random photo thread.

Will resize with I-Photo ^_^

Guest Simon*

Wank factor is getting pretty high Henry. And +1 to what James said, that needs resizing to be easily viewed.

I use Irfanview. Easy to do batch conversions to any size.

^ Exactly why you should resize...

exactly.....the pics of the e39 phone brkt were the same...they wers so big it was hard to figure out what we were supposed to be looking at,and i have a 1300 768 screen

Thats a cool photo. More! Maybe a random photo thread.

Got a few awesome shoots planned in the coming weeks: star trails, downhill drifting for the calender, girls, fireworks.. Won't make it to this forum however :)

Might do a big flickr update, and continuing with my confident, cocky, internet only, persona, they are pretty good snaps :D