Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Wheels and Tyres for a Jappa

I'm struggling to get new tyres for my MR2.

Stock size is 205/60/14 and the only tyre I can get is a Federal Formoza.

Anyone able to help with some other options? Johhno is not replying PM's probably as he is a bit busy with fatherhood.

Alternatively does anyone have some 5x114.3 rims in 15" or 16" for sale? 7" or 8" wide, around 30-45 offset depending on width.

It's a long shot, but I'm getting desperate.

Cheers.

Alternatively does anyone have some 5x114.3 rims in 15" or 16" for sale? 7" or 8" wide, around 30-45 offset depending on width.

Call some of the jap wreakers... they import cars for parts and some have some nice wheels on them... pretty cheap normally...

i've been offered some speedline 5 spokes from a wreaker in CHCH for $350

http://www.toyo.co.nz/tyre_detail.php?T_name=Proxes%20Vimode

http://www.toyo.co.nz/tyre_detail.php?T_na...yo%20TEO%20Plus

Maybe the tyre guy on the forum might be able to hook you up with these.

I bought a set of Toyos from Tony's tyres here in Wgtn a couple of years back. They didn't have them on their books but I told them what I wanted, they contact Toyo NZ and ordered them in for me.

They were good tyres and Toyo have a good reputation.

Those will be the ticket depending on price! The TEO's look really good - similar to a Dunlop SportMaxx in tread pattern. Which probably means they're a tad pricier than I intended. I'll do some hunting around.

Thanks.

Those will be the ticket depending on price! The TEO's look really good - similar to a Dunlop SportMaxx in tread pattern. Which probably means they're a tad pricier than I intended. I'll do some hunting around.

Thanks.

Well one of the reasons I went with Toyo was because they have a reputation for making good tyres and they are well priced. Admittedly the ones I got were 205/65r15 but they were V rated asymmetrical. I think from memory I paid $600 for 4 inc fitting and balancing. I did my research and found that for that spec tyre nothing else came close and I was looking at $50 to $100 more per tyre in other brands for a similar spec. They were a softish compound (although they were fitted to a heavy front drive Honda Legend) but regular rotating would have increased the life of the fronts significantly. In any case, I've always believed (especially when my family is at stake) that a faster wearing softer compound 'usually' equates to better handling and shorter stopping distances. I know where I put my money.

Well one of the reasons I went with Toyo was because they have a reputation for making good tyres and they are well priced. Admittedly the ones I got were 205/65r15 but they were V rated asymmetrical. I think from memory I paid $600 for 4 inc fitting and balancing. I did my research and found that for that spec tyre nothing else came close and I was looking at $50 to $100 more per tyre in other brands for a similar spec. They were a softish compound (although they were fitted to a heavy front drive Honda Legend) but regular rotating would have increased the life of the fronts significantly. In any case, I've always believed (especially when my family is at stake) that a faster wearing softer compound 'usually' equates to better handling and shorter stopping distances. I know where I put my money.

+1

I have Proxes 4 on my legacy, and they sh*t all over the GIII's that were on it before.