Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

WTB: E30/E36 316i/318i/320i

This is a bloody hard thing to do, but I am now possibly on the look out for a new car.

Has come to the point where I am sick of pouring all my money into a car that doesn't get enough use and is very hard to maintain and afford to run on the track being a full time uni student on a supermarket wage.

Need to start being sensible about this but a lot of my time is spent working on the car/trying to fix it on here and my uni marks are suffering as a result, something you don't want paying $4000+ a year.

Also, most of you won't know this but my mate drove my e30 yesterday and crashed it, 180'd it into a gutter :( Not hard, only damage to a wheel and a guard but that was enough to provoke me to think about whether this car will be the death of my license and/or myself, it is plenty fast for me at this point in time.

So my Dad is more than likely going to inherit my car to use on the track and I am going to buy a cheap BMW to run and maintain and not modify.

So I want something:

- Manual

- Minimal Rust

- 2 or 4 Door

- Pref NZ New

Cheaper the better, just looking for something to tinker with, be able to handle daily driving and that I can throw my road bike on the back and enjoy.

This is probably the worst time to post something like this after Luke just posted a FS thread, but me and him both have agreeing views on what to do in the future in regards to cars/life.

I am in no rush to find another car.

Don't worry I am keeping the Borbet's if I can find another E30 :D

So leave a post, PM me or text me on 0277405464.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

Also, most of you won't know this but my mate drove my e30 yesterday and crashed it, 180'd it into a gutter :( Not hard, only damage to a wheel and a guard but that was enough to provoke me to think about whether this car will be the death of my license and/or myself, it is plenty fast for me at this point in time.

Well that would tear anyone up, very surprised to hear of this decision, but if you have to.. Isn't it fun getting old!

I let my good friend drive my car for a few corners on the Summit Rd yesterday, it is bloody terrifying being a passenger going well into oversteer on a cliff road in your own car.

Dam another shame, but having a nice tidy cruiser is the right place to be, altho resisting the urge to mod an e30 is hard i, myself need to slow down a little, atleast you are keeping in the e30 family.

Good luck finding what you want, might have some leathers for you if it all works out!

Oh I know the feeling!!! This is my old car.. Thanks Troy!

At least your car will stay in the family..

Posted Image

Edited by Mark247

Cheers guys for the support.

One massive factor to change was after running a top 20 fastest half marathon by a New Zealander last year, and seeing your chance at going to the Olympics in 2016/2020 disappearing before your eyes, I thought I better get my ass into gear at start making running a priority again :rolleyes:

Hopefully I can get a nice e30 and still keep the BMW passion alive :D

Guest FrantiC

Yeah they are hard to keep in one piece, Keep it just a cruiser whatever. I went over the top with mine and i FULLY regret going turbo. Power is there, reliability and the costs is just crazy.. Makes me think about going back to a N/A 2.7 make a good solid cruise around car.. :(

Must be something in the air? :unsure:

buy my e36 323i coupe.....

I am about to go take it for a drive...hopefully I can do what Frantic did and convince myself not to sell it.....

You need something cheap and reliable...

Hence why i bought a slow diesel as a daily runner, it's damm cheap to run 930km on $66 fuel... it cost me $3300.

I"m not going to modify it as it's slow and diesel.

The stereo is good enough, the exterior is in good enough condition where i don't need to do anything to it.

Thus leaving money for racecar and the trip the gf wants to take.

Cheap, reliable, comfortable...

If you buy something you really are passionate about you will want to do it up... Find something you find ok and keep you current car as the weekend play toy.

^^^ haha, I told my wife I was going out to buy one of those a few years ago but saw an e32 750iL on the way home. I took a chance and knocked on the blokes door and an hour later I arrived home with my wife looking for a tiny Pug only to see the tank instead !

I hope you get something working out Nathan

But like most have come to realize sensible daily transport somehow wins out in the end.

This is why i have a Hilux Surf.

I hope you can keep your E30 and maybe just use it rather than modify it.

I fully Regret selling my old car.

Heath: I love Pug 205's so much, but I have been looking and there is nothing out there that is still 'cool', fun to drive, newer and more reliable within my price range so I am looking to at the moment keep the E30 and save over the summer to do the track sprints etc properly, but not spend anymore on the car (doesn't really need anything when put up against my level of driving anyway).

Jimmy: Yeah I think I am going to try and avoid selling it at the moment it is just way to fun to drive. DW I have a close eye on Anthony from up the street, he has inherited alot of cool bits off my old race car and is planning to m50 it in the summer, so it is in good hands, I will get him to get off his ass and put a thread up so you can see, it is looking good :)

So basically the thing that won me over is that I can't buy anything that puts a smile on my face like the '30 does, I more than likely wouldn't downgrade to another I would look for a e36/other euro. Just when you sitting at 80kph in 3rd gear joining onto the motorway, you feel the LSD squirming as you put your foot down, the m20 starts howling all the way to 5000rpm+ and 110k+, and you get that grin, I knew I had to keep it :D

Edited by Forrest

Heath: I love Pug 205's so much, but I have been looking and there is nothing out there that is still 'cool', fun to drive, newer and more reliable within my price range so I am looking to at the moment keep the E30 and save over the summer to do the track sprints etc properly, but not spend anymore on the car (doesn't really need anything when put up against my level of driving anyway).

Jimmy: Yeah I think I am going to try and avoid selling it at the moment it is just way to fun to drive. DW I have a close eye on Anthony from up the street, he has inherited alot of cool bits off my old race car and is planning to m50 it in the summer, so it is in good hands, I will get him to get off his ass and put a thread up so you can see, it is looking good :)

So basically the thing that won me over is that I can't buy anything that puts a smile on my face like the '30 does, I more than likely wouldn't downgrade to another I would look for a e36/other euro. Just when you sitting at 80kph in 3rd gear joining onto the motorway, you feel the LSD squirming as you put your foot down, the m20 starts howling all the way to 5k and 110k+, and you get that grin, I knew I had to keep it :D

Lets get real here! Stuff uni, get an m50!

Finding a decent car is hard work, its nearly always best to deal with what you have already got if its in good cond.

I would be so stoked if Anthony put an M50 into the old DNH mobile

I still get people calling up from old classic car magazines about it

Guest FrantiC

All i had to do was realize my spark plugs were fouled and buy some new ones to realize I'm actually at the finish point of my project and most likely on friday it will be all legal, providing the axle and speedo are fixed tomorrow.

Just hearing it running again was enough to convince me.. How could I ever part with all my time and effort thats gone into it, That is something I will never get back - But if i keep it of course that just means all of it has paid off and I get to enjoy driving my e30 again.. Can't wait to hear it scream again when that gate opens up :ph34r:

GL with whatever you decide, Decision's aren't always easy just make sure you think it through *alot* first..