Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

m20 Turbo 2.7L motor and setup

Guest FrantiC

I'm going to stick to it.. I cleaned all the spark plugs and lo behold she starts but misfires badly. I think the spark plugs are toast, thought they look perfectly fine they are covered in a black soot which seems burned on. Probably because they are cold plugs... My bad.. I off to go buy some BPR6ES see how they go.

And to think I was gonna give this project up over bad spark plugs, I had you all fooled :ph34r:

good to hear your gonna stick it out mate. will be worth it in the end

See what a bit of encouragement can do! Now time to go boost up Boostjunky....:P

Guest FrantiC

lawl, new bpr6es spark plugs and she runs mint.. <_<

Off to BMW now to fix the speedo and rear axle... Then just needs a wheel alignment for the cert.

:rolleyes:

Nice....once its running mint...you gotta show us a video of some...yeah you know what...:lol:

Then off to Taranaki on Friday night for some Skid and Drift action!

Dooooooooooooo it!

lawl, new bpr6es spark plugs and she runs mint.. <_<

sweet. what code were the old ones? Did you get get hotter plugs? Otherwise it will probably just happen again.

Im a big fan of seeing something that you started through to the end. Even if you get tired of it once its finished, you have something to look back on, and be proud of your work. (once you take out the cut springs cough cough.. Jk's ;) Even if you look at it from a financial point of view, once its finished it will be worth more than it would be incomplete.

Good for you for sticking with it.

Guest FrantiC

Haha, The *cough* modified *cough* springs are only temporary for now, I just hate how it was so high lol..

All is going well once again.

Old plugs where BPR7ES, 1 step colder than stock. BPR6ES are just what's recommended stock. Won't know how it effect's overall performance, if at all till I get the rear axle fixed tomorrow.

And due to the unreliablity I don't think I will make it this weekend Blair, Can't afford any gas and if anything goes wrong I would be screwed. Taking things slow for now...

Guest FrantiC

Meh, I'll see. Cars impounded at the mo, Still undecided whether I want to keep it or not. Keeping the e30 thats for sure, have some plans for it.. As for engine don't think I am one to reckon with it, getting me into far too much trouble.

mmm i see what you mean.

I also sometimes get frustrated with mine.... engine seems to be holding up ok... knock on wood.

I replaced steering rack twice, and steering pump once. Still something is leaking out of PS system. Gearbox is a PITA when cold, turbo/manifold/downpipe is really difficult to remove, so is the oil filter. But as I think of it now... it's reliable. and with new wheels/tires it sticks nicely, all though next time i'll go with even fatter rear tire.

sometimes I feel like my 25yo e30 is falling apart faster than I can mend it together.

And EFI tuning... I'm nevery happy with it always trying to squeeze out last bit of performance or last bit of fuel economy, and then when i get too far i have to go back and fix drivability, haha :)

Anyways, I got all the parts for water/meth injection now just install it all in and wire it up (this has been partially done) and I'll be able to call it finished :)

I also see what you mean about the financial side of things... the reality is that cars and horsepower is expensive. If you are a young student with 'student' income I totally see you can be over-stretching yourself financially. During my project I received criticism from other people that I'm a cheap-a$$ trying to save a buck or two everywhere... but when you are on limited budget that's what you have to do otherwise you will be in situation like you are describing. I'm a bit older and reasonable salary but i allow myself only a small portion to be spent on this - and I treat it as wasted money... well instead of blowing it on beer and girls i build this car.

Dont treat it as wasted time or money. You probably learned alot and you can plan and execute similar project in the future with greater efficiency.

And regarding issues with your car... i think these can be traced and addressed if you just give it some patience :)

Meh, I'll see. Cars impounded at the mo, Still undecided whether I want to keep it or not. Keeping the e30 thats for sure, have some plans for it.. As for engine don't think I am one to reckon with it, getting me into far too much trouble.

Get another mint e30 body & drop it in it & use it for the track only. One mint looking & running E30 for daily use & one nice but STAUNCH AS F--K E30 for the Track.

WIN - WIN

Then get a tandom trailer and use the daily one to transport it to the track. People would be gobsmacked seeing a pimp daddy E30 trailering an E30 racer to the track...straight up awesome. (If the to-be new engine could handle it though).

Edited by Shady

Guest FrantiC

Nah, Going to keep it I think.. Since I have already paid for the cert and it's pretty much certed now, Just needs coilovers so I can slam it onto some dished 16x9's. Probably a new paint job too, Blue is ugly...

Nah, Going to keep it I think.. Since I have already paid for the cert and it's pretty much certed now, Just needs coilovers so I can slam it onto some dished 16x9's. Probably a new paint job too, Blue is ugly...

would be keen to know what you do/thinking coilover wise. Would you go GC? or another way

Noooo. The BLUE is mack as. And your painting skill looks good (did you paint it?)

DeJaVu? I swear I've read this exact post somewhere before!?

WTF :wacko:

i've swear it's the only time i typed and posted this post :)

but it's i't pretty universal tbh...

ppl start projects, but expensive parts up front, they they hit couple of roadblocks and they say ahf*** it whatever...

for me #1 objective it to finish. and the rest has to fit within some general guidelines...

Haha must of been one of those "Im sure I've done this, seen this or read this before" times.

Hasnt happened lately until now...:lol:

pimp daddy E30 trailering an E30 racer to the trackthough).

"Pimp daddy's" dont go to the track... they drive to the liquoir store, local whore house or their favorite drug pick up point

"Pimp daddy's" dont go to the track... they drive to the liquoir store, local whore house or their favorite drug pick up point

Its a bit of sarcasm :P

Not sarcasm at all...just stating a fact..do you know one that competes at the track ??? (now thats sarcasm) :D

Edited by *Glenn*

Not sarcasm at all...just stating a fact..do you know one that competes at the track ??? (now thats sarcasm) :D

I was meaning my comment was "a bit of sarcasm"... :mellow: