Sign in to follow this  
APT

A Few E30 Problems

Ok its only been now that ive started to drive my e30 more regularly and have a few questions regarding little problems.

1. When shifting through gears it isnt as smooth as id like it to be, is there a bush/cup or something that i can replace to solve this ?

2. I get a little wobble in my steering wheel when i go about 90+ kms.- Lower Control Arm Bushes ?

3. There is a tapping sound coming from my engine, it occurs at random times though. (Very annoying sound against the m20 rumble) lol

4. My Window wipers gets stuck at the slowest setting but works 100% at the faster settings.

Any advice/suggestions would be awesome

Thanks Bimmersporters.

Edited by APT

3. There is a tapping sound coming from my engine, it occurs at random times though. (Very annoying sound against the m20 rumble) lol

4. My Window wipers gets stuck at the slowest setting but works 100% at the faster settings.

3. Possibly Tappets need ajustment?

4. I've had this problem too, Heres how I fixed it. http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.p...en_Wiper_faults

1. When shifting through gears it isnt as smooth as id like it to be, is there a bush/cup or something that i can replace to solve this ?

Short shifter and the two bushings that I can supply you. makes a world of difference. and maybe some new gearbox oil.

2. I get a little wobble in my steering wheel when i go about 90+ kms.- Lower Control Arm Bushes ?

Get a wheel alignment

Is the shortshift kit a substancially shorter throw?

Got one from hyper about 600ks both wheel alignment and balance. Cheers for the advice guys

Is the shortshift kit a substancially shorter throw?

Definitely noticeable, but not overkill. Ive seen/tried other short shift kits in E30s and comparitively this one is a nice gentle, but noticeable one.

okay got two more problems.

1. At times my e30 is hard starting, say at the start of the day, so far the only things i have only carried out regarding ignition are spark plugs. Do i have to change the spark plug wires ?

2.This isnt really a problem but more of a question, i was cruising on the motorway the other day and at 100kph and i was at 3100 revs is this normal ? it seems abit high to me. <_<

Thanks

Ok its only been now that ive started to drive my e30 more regularly and have a few questions regarding little problems.

Any advice/suggestions would be awesome

Thanks Bimmersporters.

1. Get SIR E30s short shift kit, they are good. Also get the brass bushing he can supply you. And as he said, try new oil

2. Try another wheel alignment

3. Typical m20 lol.

4. Wiper motors getting old, replacing them is a bastard of a job I've been told. I think possibly you can just clean them out...

1. At times my e30 is hard starting, say at the start of the day, so far the only things i have only carried out regarding ignition are spark plugs. Do i have to change the spark plug wires ?

2.This isnt really a problem but more of a question, i was cruising on the motorway the other day and at 100kph and i was at 3100 revs is this normal ? it seems abit high to me. <_<

Thanks

1. Cant say for sure, could be a number of things.

2. In each gear and a certain speed you will always do the same RPM. For example, every time you are in 5th, doing 100kmh, you will do 3100rpm. The only way this can change is if your clutch is slipping, and it wont be that.

Edited by Mark247

Thanks

Re the wires, generally no you don't on the e30 unless they are obviously arcing or worn etc. Did you gap your plugs correctly and are they the correct plugs for the e30?

Hard starting can be a host of things. I have always found the e30 to be a great starter when cold but require a little cranking at times when hot. Check that any cold start circuits are functioning - check temp sensor for a start.

Yes, 3100 does seem high for top gear. What wheel/tyre sizes are you running? Is it still the standard diff ratio?

Guest FrantiC

You probably have a 4.45 diff ratio, It's higher ratio so you have really short gear changes. i.e max speed in 1st, 40km/h, 2nd is about 80km/h, 3rd 110km/h etc.

Just get a shorter ratio dif. My 3.64 cruises at 2500rpm @ 100km/h. Max speeds (6200rpm limit) 1st gear 50km/h, 2nd gear 95km/h, 3rd gear 145km/h and so forth..

Edited by FrantiC

This weekend i will be making my window wipers work 100 % hopefully