Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

US College student kills burglar with Samurai sword

Guest Simon*

A US student has killed a recidivist burglar with a samurai sword, slicing off his left hand and severely cutting his neck after he spotted the intruder in his garage, police said.

The undergraduate medical student at Baltimore's prestigious Johns Hopkins University was being questioned by police but he may not be charged if found to be acting in self-defence. Samurai swords are legal in the United States.

Police received a call for help at 1:20am on Tuesday (1520 AEST) after the burglar pried open a side-door into the garage of the house, which four students rented off the campus, Baltimore police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

"They asked him to stop and while they called police, the suspect lunged at the student. He then retaliated by striking him with a samurai sword, severed his left hand and gave severe lacerations to the upper torso," he said.

The burglar, who was in his late 40s, had a history of burglaries and had just been released from prison on Saturday, he said.

The student, whose name was not released as he was not charged, had recently reported a burglary in which thieves reportedly took laptop computers and a Sony PlayStation video-game machine.

The United States, where the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected, has few restrictions on owning swords although some local jurisdictions limit the right to brandish them in public.

"I think everyone has the right to first of all defend themselves and defend their home and if this individual felt that a samurai sword was an appropriate tool to do so, I'm not in a position to say that's good or bad," Guglielmi said.

The samurai, Japan's medieval knights, carried swords as they enforced a code of moral order. Modern Japan, however, requires strict registration of all sizable swords.

England and Wales last year banned the sale of samurai swords except to collectors after a spate of crimes.

Tuesday's incident was the latest violence involving a top US university. Police on Monday found the body of a 24-year-old Yale University student stuffed in a laboratory wall.

:D Gotta' love the Yanks sometimes as this guy will no doubt get away with this vigilante justice as "self defence" and falling under "the right to bear arms". More power to him too, it's just that it usually goes wrong 9 times out of 10

Gotta love Merica for some things:

Cassidy Nicosia arrested for going topless in public

Sun, 2009-08-23 13:30 -0400 — jraxis

Cassidy speaking with one of the arresting officers. Photo by Mike Barskey.

Photo by Mike Barskey.

On 2009-08-23, Cassidy Nicosia was arrested in Keene for going topless in public. She was charged with RSA 645:1, “Indecent Exposure and Lewdness.†This was a planned event to promote topless equality, following much discussion (1, 2) on the Free Keene forum, in which several men also went with no shirts. None of the men were arrested.

The arresting officer was Peter Bowers, along with Mike Kopcha and Christopher Simonds. During the incident, Bowers was notified via phone by Sgt. James Cemorelis that he had spoking with another Sergeant, James McLaughlin, and the Keene prosecutor, Attorney Chris McLaughlin, who had claimed that Cassidy was in violation of RSA 645:1. The ticket cited her for “knowingly perform[ing] an act of gross lewdness, under circumstances which she should have known would likely cause affront or alarm, to wit, walking down Main St. while exposing her breasts.â€

The arraignment was originally scheduled for 2009-09-09 at 08:30 in Keene District Court, but on 2009-09-01, she was notified in a letter by the other Keene prosecutor, Eliezer Rivera, that the charges had been dropped.

Posted Image

Wow. I wish my girlfriend had wings tattooed on her back.

Wow. I wish my girlfriend had wings tattooed on her back.

LMFAO no you don't, i know 7 girls with them on their backs (from small to full back) and each one of them work with poles, candles and baby oil.

Guest Ari Gold

LMFAO no you don't, i know 7 girls with them on their backs (from small to full back) and each one of them work with poles, candles and baby oil.

We should be friends

Nice post Simon, my lol is at his last name: Guglielmi, must be part of the mafia, right?

And again a lol at the name in Pjays post: The keene court, more specifically, the keene prosecutor haha! Love it.