Sign in to follow this  
wolliver

engine not starting

ok, so i want to see how good you guys really are.

engine is not starting, it cranking fine and battery is good. have no spark in all 4 cylinders (4A-FE engine), sparkplugs are fine, HT leads to sparkplugs are fine. What can would cause this, keeping in mind its electronic ignition.

im guessin it could hav something to do with the CPS??? maybe its faulty or something? i dont know.

please help

cheers, James

engine is not starting, it cranking fine and battery is good. have no spark in all 4 cylinders (4A-FE engine), sparkplugs are fine, HT leads to sparkplugs are fine. What can would cause this, keeping in mind its electronic ignition.

im guessin it could hav something to do with the CPS??? maybe its faulty or something? i dont know.

please help

cheers, James

igniter box!?

where bouts is the igniter box and how do i test it??

its either on the fire wall or on lh inner guard , its off your engine loom, has 2 plugs, best way is to try another one as im not to sure how to diagnose zorry

please help

cheers, James

So 4A-FE engine in what? Beemer? If so then could be anything as nothing is standard OE

It'll be some form of Toyota Corolla.

If it's new enough, it might be worth taking it to a dealer/mechanic/auto sparky and having it put on the computer.

So 4A-FE engine in what? Beemer? If so then could be anything as nothing is standard OE

na its in a corolla

Guest FrantiC

Sounds likely to be CPS.

Same thing with the m20, If the crank sensor is bad then the ECU can't determine which position the crank is in and there-fore doesn't fire..

I dunno about those engines and their electrics, but alot of them the igniters aer built into the ECU?

To cheak a crank position sensor you check the resistance accross the 2 coil terminals. If it fluctuates the its fine. if the reading stays the same then your sensors crook

From memory, the 4A-FE doesnt have a CPS with a seperate igniter. It has the ignition igniter inside the distributor and is triggered by camshaft rotation. You can pick them up quite cheaply. What year is the car ?

your right glen doesnt have cps, but i found the fault. it was a crap ignition trigger wire, was like a 3.5v drop or sumfing across the wire so it wasnt triggering at all... took a while, read the manual but i got there in the end and just replaced the wire

your right glen doesnt have cps, but i found the fault. it was a crap ignition trigger wire, was like a 3.5v drop or sumfing across the wire so it wasnt triggering at all... took a while, read the manual but i got there in the end and just replaced the wire

All good then... glad you got it sorted.. Christ !! I havent worked on one of those for at least 12 years