Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Custom Parcel Shelf - Fibreglass

Just removed the cover part of my parcel shelf. Didnt realise it was made of compacted cardboard (like WTF come on Germany whats with all the cardboard crap!) Anyways, after having to rip the bastard out (almost seems as though its too long) I ended up making it a bit creased in areas here n there.

So was thinking, instead of retrimming it (thats what my plan was) what would you guys & girls think of making a Fibreglassed one? And how would I go about it...cold I just remove all material and use the cardboard tray as the mould and just glass over that & use IT as a mould ....OR ??

....Can a 'glassing pro/expert give me some tips? Or anyone in Waikato keen to do it for me for a bit of a cashy job if I supply whats needed? I'd prefer to DIY but dont wanna get half way & then FIU if its as complicated as I think it is.

Or am I just wasting my time? And just retrim it & put it back in...only problem with that is when I started to peel the carpet off it took a layer of the paper with it, so if I rip the lot off it may just leave me with nothing.

Any opinions/suggestions?

PLEASE dont turn this into an argument thread, I just need some advice. Thanks all.

Car is off the road for a while atm so no rush on anything...taking my time trying to do as much small things as I can then big stuff "later".

Edited by Shady

Just removed the cover part of my parcel shelf. Didnt realise it was made of compacted cardboard (like WTF come on Germany whats with all the cardboard crap!) Anyways, after having to rip the bastard out (almost seems as though its too long) I ended up making it a bit creased in areas here n there.

So was thinking, instead of retrimming it (thats what my plan was) what would you guys & girls think of making a Fibreglassed one? And how would I go about it...cold I just remove all material and use the cardboard tray as the mould and just glass over that & use IT as a mould ....OR ??

....Can a 'glassing pro/expert give me some tips? Or anyone in Waikato keen to do it for me for a bit of a cashy job if I supply whats needed? I'd prefer to DIY but dont wanna get half way & then FIU if its as complicated as I think it is.

Or am I just wasting my time? And just retrim it & put it back in...only problem with that is when I started to peel the carpet off it took a layer of the paper with it, so if I rip the lot off it may just leave me with nothing.

Any opinions/suggestions?

PLEASE dont turn this into an argument thread, I just need some advice. Thanks all.

Car is off the road for a while atm so no rush on anything...taking my time trying to do as much small things as I can then big stuff "later".

I can have a look at it for fibre glasing if you want to bring it down tomorow in Huntly text me on 027 241 7328

Dutchy

I got no way of getting there. :( No car hence it off the road atm. But am I able to email you some photos or do you need to see it in person? I "might" be able to get my brother to take me there, but that all depends on what hes doing (he wont cancel plans just for me lol).

I was also thinking. Since it was a pain to get it out, would that mean it would be even harder to get a 'glassed tray back in? Im guessing I would have to remove the rear window to put a 'glassed one back in?

I got no way of getting there. :( No car hence it off the road atm. But am I able to email you some photos or do you need to see it in person? I "might" be able to get my brother to take me there, but that all depends on what hes doing (he wont cancel plans just for me lol).

Yes i have to see it. no rush lol

Dutchy

Yes i have to see it. no rush lol

Dutchy

OK sweet. If I can get my brother to take me up there, I will text you. Otherwise will just see what else anyone has to say in the mean time.

it would be hard to get a glass one back in as you kind of need to bend in to get it in there,

my first attempt i pulled the carpet off and covererd it and it looked terrible, second attempt i left the carpet on and got some ados f2 spray glue (works amazing) and a fleece blanket for $4 from the ware house ( looks like felt) and and sprayed the whlole thing and stretched it to fit all the contours and it came out good as,,

imo the only problem the trays have is the stuped vents in the back, makes the shelf weak,, best bet would be to see kerry at mosens and get another decent shelf to just retrim

Wow I know this is a bit harsh but you really know how to think of some completely unpractical, expensive ways to waste money on ya car that really have little or no use to you in the long run. Surely your money is better spent either converting your car to manual, putting in a bigger engine or selling off and spending on another car thats more to your liking. Surely theres a million other things you could spend your money on that are 10 times more use than a fibreglass rear parcel tray.

If your really want that custom look, make one up out of alloy and use flock to give it that carpet look. That way you can design it to your needs and fit deeper speakers in there without the need for speaker boxes.

Edited by bmw3

it would be hard to get a glass one back in as you kind of need to bend in to get it in there,

my first attempt i pulled the carpet off and covererd it and it looked terrible, second attempt i left the carpet on and got some ados f2 spray glue (works amazing) and a fleece blanket for $4 from the ware house ( looks like felt) and and sprayed the whlole thing and stretched it to fit all the contours and it came out good as,,

imo the only problem the trays have is the stuped vents in the back, makes the shelf weak,, best bet would be to see kerry at mosens and get another decent shelf to just retrim

Sounds good, I'll give that a go.

Wow I know this is a bit harsh but you really know how to think of some completely unpractical, expensive ways to waste money on ya car that really have little or no use to you in the long run. Surely your money is better spent either converting your car to manual, putting in a bigger engine or selling off and spending on another car thats more to your liking. Surely theres a million other things you could spend your money on that are 10 times more use than a fibreglass rear parcel tray.

If your really want that custom look, make one up out of alloy and use flock to give it that carpet look. That way you can design it to your needs and fit deeper speakers in there without the need for speaker boxes.

Its the little things that count mate. My current tray covering is pretty crap so just wanted to recover it then saw it was compacted cardboard which turned to crap (creased & folded in places when I removed it) and just wanted opinions on whether or NOT to make a 'glass one...once again I didnt say I "would" I was asking if its worth while and how to do it.

Your alloy idea isnt too bad, but will try matty's idea & see how that turns out.

Edited by Shady

Like bmw3 said, Not really worth the trouble man.

Pick up another one if yours is buggered and buy some nice fabric to wrap it in.

Am sussing a deal out with bmw3 now :)

If you are going for the whole looks before performance thing, would the money not be better spent getting a decent panel and paint?

FGing isn't cheap to do at all.

Not going to do any panel or paint work until early next year. Just trying to get small things on the inside done first (mainly the stuff I can do myself) and then start on the big stuff later :)

Not doing the 'glass now, am getting one off bmw3 so will retrim that one after molding some new speaker holes.

Would it make me go faster!? :lol::P

Edited by Shady

Just got my new tray from Andy (cheers man, thanks for dropping in).

Its so much better than mine was, that I'm not going to retrim it...will just try using a 'Carpet Spray Dye' first and see how that goes (if not good I will then recover it). Am going to get some Dye tomorrow, so anybody got any recommendations as to which "brand" to use or just use whatever?

Cheers

I used some black Duplicolour Vinyl Spray or something like that from Ripco,

Worked well but i'm sure there's plenty others you could use.

Finished painting it with a vinyl paint which said ideal for carpets also. Came out a bit hard but who cares, not as if anyones gonna touch it, I just wanted it Black.

Before:-

post-4588-1253686355.jpg

After:-

post-4588-1253686349.jpg

Not a good photo, but it is completely dark black all over, not light in some areas as photo shows...

Edited by Shady