Sign in to follow this  
Matty104

Exaust manifold heat shield

Hey guys, quick question,

Will be putting a set of Wayneys stainless headers on my car, and wondering if anyone has any ideas for a small heat shield to protect the spark plug leads,

Don't really want to run the standard ones with the shiny stainless, so was thinking of either making some nice new ali or stainless ones,Thoughts?

Ali will absorb heat much faster and stainless will hold more heat though. so not sure weather there will be any benifit to doing that,

any one have any ideas for what i could do?

Matt

Edited by Matty104

Guest FrantiC

I run nothing on mine and I never had issues at all. I would maybe look into the heat wrap things people put around the plug wires. Have seen them on m20 turbo setups before, as opposed to having heatshields.

Will try find photos.

i have heard about that stuff, they use it on new vectras apparently, can't seem to find anyhting though

I personaly would use the OEM shields to protect the leads and suppressors. They will hide a bit of the bling factor when you show your mates your new headers though..... your call

Not to worryed about the bling factor, just wanted to do something a bit different because i don't really like how the oem oem ones look, the fine covering up the cast manifold, just looking for an equal comprimise between looking nice and not melting anything

Matt, many of my customers have not used heat shields and have had no probs. The headers appear to dissipate heat quicker than cast iron. Glenn is correct when advising for radio noise suppression.

Pretty sure Repco has those lead covers.

They were about $200 for a set of 6. <_<

I have a set of Wayne's headers on my e30 - i put new oem heatshields and have never had any problems. From memory they were $50 each from the stealer.....

Really? Last time I bought a set they were just under a hundred...

mint, ill do it that way then, and bend them up quite high, and spray them black with heat paint so they tie in with the rocker cover. cheers