Sign in to follow this  
Docile

e38 passenger door wont open inside or out

ok been around other forums and it seems others have problems with this as well, but still no solution or the cause of the problem. wondering if us NZders can fair better at solving this. went to the stealers and they said replace everything i mean wtf.... "as its an old car its better to replace the whole lot to gaurantee it wont happen again"... wat bs is that.. they said its gonna cost around 500 bucks and about 2 days as they will need to pry open the panel while the door is closed and replace the mechanism inside the door... he didnt even assess it properly.. sheesh..

it started last saturday.. i went to pick up my m8 and my m8 tried to open the door while locked. i then unlocked it ... the lock knob popped up.. he tried to open again, and it still wont open... i tried opening from the inside and it still wont open.

both the outside and inside levers, when you pull on it it feels like its going to open the door. it has the feel like its pulling something like it would normally would, so i doubt the cables are snapped.

any ideas??

Edited by Docile

It's almost impossible to repair this problem without causing further damage to the car.

Here's what you have to do:

Remove rear seat squab and backrest to make more access space to door

Slide front seat all way forward, possibly remove front seat if needed for extra access space.

Remove interior door panel from inside the car.

WARNING: You likely have to damage the door panel to remove it.

Be prepared to replace interior door panel with a new / 2nd hand one

Once door panel is removed the moisture seal can be cut (prepare to replace this as well) and then you can reach inside and activate the lock and open the door.

Once door open, replace broken parts

And refit all other bits, replacing anything that is damaged.

And then check ALL OTHER LOCKs to make sure you won't have the same headache again...

You could also try this... I've had two cars in the last month this has worked on:

Lift the out side handle and bang on the rear of the door panel, about half way down where the striker is...reasonably firmly but not to hard or you'll dent the panel, but close to the edge of the door where its stronger. If it does release..get the door trim panel off straight away. The fault is likely to be a broken spring inside the lock latch mechanism.

Can you hear the central lock motor working inside the faulty door ??

WOAH !!! i got it open !!.. lowered the window and kept lifting both the inside and outside door latches together and it popped open !!

it opens and closes now with no prob... did it like 20 times..

i tried to open the outside handle while it was locked. and then unlocked it.. it happened again... but i managed to get it open again with the method i used before after 10 mins trying. now all i gotta do until the weekend is try not having anyone try and open while locked...

will update what i find and post picture of what it was.

damn stealers trying to steal my hard earned money !!

Edited by Docile

Sounds like the window mechanism is getting caught on the release cable or the lock button shaft. You'll need to get the trim off and have a look