Sign in to follow this  
robertw

E36 cooling

Hi Guys,

My 325i overheated a little last night not to serious no warning from OBC just straight to redline

then dropped back to 3/4 mark, got where I was going waited for it to cool down topped radiator

and drove home OK, checked this morning no sign of leak ran up to normal temp in about 10mins

and stopped at the 1/2 mark, fan spinning OK

I have only had the car a couple of months, gave her an oil change a month ago, topped the radiator

a couple of times when the OBC has indecated low coolant only need small amount 250ml or so,

Car had been hanging around dealers for the last two years only clocked up 5000k in that time,

so unlikely to have had any services in that time, plan on giving cooling system a flush,

Question! what do you think I should do as well as flushing?

Car has 136k on the clock, would the water pump have been changed by how I understand the

orginals plastic implers go early on, is it worth putting a new pump in on the off chance.

Cheers

Robert.

had the same problem on my one.

culprit: water pump f'd up: my one still had the plastic one. it started to disintegrate it left debri inside the cooling, clogged up the thermostat and radiator and heater core. ( or it could be the fan clutch or belt not turning your waterpump)

solution: flush out radiator [ i replaced mine as top inlet hose connector was wasted], replaced waterpump, replaced thermostat, replaced hoses and took out heater core and replaced, flushed system 3 times.

the plastic waterpump

Posted Image

Edited by Docile

also double check how good the fan viscous clutch is working , if it spins realy freely then its stuffed

also will be realy oily in the front of the fan clutch if its lost all its fluid from teh clutch unit .