Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e23 88 735i brake issue

Guest FrantiC

A friend of mine has a 1988 735i e23. It has abit of a brake problem, where the brakes are 'dragging'. Was told this was the issue by a mechanic who fixed a few other various things on the car.

He has replaced the rear rotors, Not entirely sure why, but aparently it is the front brakes that are dragging.

BMW suggested it would be the Brake pressure regulator

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=34&fg=25

Does this sound likely to be the cause?

I haven't checked out the car, my mate is in the army so he only has time on weekend's to sort it out (he's now asked for my help). I've just never worked with a 735i before Lol.

It may not have the correct pushrod clearance/freeplay from the brake linkage to the servo which is adjusted inside the car. It could be the servo jamming as well. Needs to be checked properly. I doubt it is the pressure accumulator.

Edited by *Glenn*

Guest FrantiC

Well I got him a replacement pressure accumulator from Brent on here, Would it be worth replacing anyways since I made him fork out $100 for it? lol

What should the pushrod clearance be and where would i find it? I assume if i looked at it without the brakes being pressed, it should have freeplay then? And if it is engaged there is an issue?

Release the brake pipe on the master cylinder with your foot off the brakes for the front brakes and see if there is pressure there. And check to see if the brakes free up when you do this. If they dont free up its probably the callipers sticking in the slides.

e23's are well known for having sticky brake calipers .

check all of them

Guest FrantiC

e23's are well known for having sticky brake calipers .

check all of them

Will do, Probably won't get a chance to look at it til next weekend or the week after.

If the calipers are sticking, what is the solution to that? And I guess to check this, You would check how freely the wheel rotates while jacked in the air - No brakes applied, Correct?

Will do, Probably won't get a chance to look at it til next weekend or the week after.

If the calipers are sticking, what is the solution to that? And I guess to check this, You would check how freely the wheel rotates while jacked in the air - No brakes applied, Correct?

yes thats right , just spin teh wheel .

maybe take them apart , clean and lube etc , or get them overhauled ,new seals etc ,reco'd etc . or just try some second hand ones .

Um, maybe this is a dumb question, but are you sure it's an E23? I thought they were replaced by the E32 in 1986?

Is the year wrong, or do you mean E32?

Cheers