Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Wiring Up 2 Amps

OK one for the ICE experts.

I currently have a 4Chn Fusion amp wired up to run my 15" Vibrant sub. I am now wanting to also wire up a 300W Fusion amp for my 6x9s (amp is pretty much perfect for them, with the bass turned down). Now my question is, am I able to wire up the 2nd amp without putting another cable on the battery & more RCA leads into the Heady? Is someone able to give me step by step instructions?

Cheers

Guest FrantiC

DONT try running 2 amps off the same power cable. Run 1 cable for each with 1 fuse, or else it will give you grief.

How many outputs have you got on your headunit? Chances are you will need to run more for them too.. Unless your headunit is 'teh gay'.

I had a 1300w SONY amp powering a 1300w SONY sub, and a 500w SONY amp powering 2 6x9's, I did initially use 1 cable run from the battery to the parcel tray where the amp sits in the middle of the parcel tray, then doubled up and ran a cable from that same cable to the amp in the boot for the sub. Blew fuses all the time and the sub would come on off on off, really annoying.

Oh ratchet.

Guess Im gonna have to wire it up like the sub. All good, i guess I need to remove all the wiring for the sub anyway & tidy it up a bit.

The heady is Sony Xplod, not a crapper - pretty good came with the car. I dont know if it has 2 sets of RCA sockets, will have to have a look.

Cheers for the heads up FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

If you are wanting to run an amp on your 6x9's, you want atleast 2 RCA's, left and right.. Your headunit could be gay and only have 1 RCA output for a sub.. which will kill the idea of having another amp.

You will need a left right, and a subout, or yeah 2 sets of outputs.

Mine has front outputs, rear ouputs, and 2 sub outputs. PIONEER WIN,

I know you didn't ask, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. If my understandings are correct:

Mounting 6x9"s in parcel tray.

Sub is in boot

Unless you desperately need the 6x9s in the car. Don't do it.

The sub uses the boot of the car like a box. If you put another speaker in there (i.e. in the parcel tray, it'll throw both of them off. You would be far better keeping the parcel tray clean and putting in some decent speakers in the doors and running them off the amp. I hope this gets to you in time.

I had the same situation in my Celica. I had alpine S 6x9"s in the parcel tray and the sound was just never right. I put some infinity 6.5"s in the rear arm rests (Celica is a coupe, doesn't have rear doors and couldn't think of the name.). I never looked back, sounded immaculate.

Just my suggestion. But I stand strongly by it.

With the two amps, also try and run the best cable you can at all times. You'd be surprised how much difference there is between wires, even in something that seems basic like a sub.

I have 6x9's in the tray, 6's in the front and sub in the boot.

And tbh it doesn't sounds great

It had that loud vibration that you can hear from a km away but rubbish sound

Without the sub, just running the pioneer 6x9s and 6s its a far clearer and crisp sound.

Not sure how to get the sub to run smooth to, together with the pioneer

Edited by Brookfromhamilton

Am going to get 6x9 spacers for the tray.

I currently have the 6x9s in boxes on the tray which are just plugged into the factory speaker cables. Sub doesnt knock them off & they never moved either when I brake or go around corners.

Brook... what kind of vibration?

The vibration mine makes is bass...it did used to be a tinny sound then I removed that plastic numberplate surround & no more rattling. Just bass which is pretty hard to stop in all cars unless you use sound deadning material.

Yer,

its bass lol

Shakes everything

sounds terrible outside the car

inside its pretty cool when im in the mood for that huge bass through town

but traveling i turn of the sub which is on a switch next to the cigarette lighter (or when i have a headache)

And its a nice sound

Pioneer 6x9s put out nice bass alone

You but some cars have different vibrations...guess it also depends how solid the car is.

Does your boot have the trim on the lid? If not, that might help deaden it? Im looking at finding one for mine just for the hell of it cos they look cool.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah mine too, I have 6x9's on the rear tray, though it sounds all good.. Bass inside the car is INTENSE with the boxed 12" 1300w sub and amp, though outside the car all you hear is boot rattling and the car falling apart... :blink:

Yeah mine too, I have 6x9's on the rear tray, though it sounds all good.. Bass inside the car is INTENSE with the boxed 12" 1300w sub and amp, though outside the car all you hear is boot rattling and the car falling apart... :blink:

+1

same here

I saw an E30 on Trademe, seller was parting out. Boot had a trim panel on the boot "lid". Look pretty cool.

On full bass, my car dont sound too bad, on the outside. And yeah inside sounds mint, outside not mint but not crap.

meh lol

with the sunroof open and windows down

myn sounds mint

perfect for summer

Hell check this

Imagine driving that...im sure the owner must be deaf if he drives like that. I've had people say mine makes them deaf'ish and its all standard speakers apart from the 6x9s & the one 15".

Not a Fan of 6x9's

I have Alpine TypeS Coaxials on the rear tray...

and their Component brothers sitting in the garage waiting to go into the front doors with my Amp :)

Rear fill is the last thing you need tbh, Shady, get some 6.5" components for the front doors and use that amp!

You will have to run two sets of RCA's, you can just splice the REM from the other amp.

Edited by antil33t

Re RCAs, depends on your amps. If one of the amps has input and output RCAs terminals then you can just have one pair from headie to amp and then another short pair from that amp to the other. RCA output from the headunit must be full range and you use the crossovers on the amps to split the frequencies.

No problem running more than 1 amp off a single power cable. For the power you have a single run of 4awg wire should be plenty. For a 5 metre length 4awg should handle up to about 1000rms. You'll need a distribution block (just a cheap one) to split the power wire for two amps. As said above, just daisy chain the remote-on wire. Welding cable is much cheaper than car audio specific cable and probably better too (more flexible and double insulated)

Guest FrantiC

Hell check this

Imagine driving that...im sure the owner must be deaf if he drives like that. I've had people say mine makes them deaf'ish and its all standard speakers apart from the 6x9s & the one 15".

Jesus christ that looks like the cars about to explode.