Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

D Size Argon/Oxygen Bottle

I know this is a long shot but surely some one has a D size argon bottle sitting deep in their garage that they are willing to sell? I need one for my tig welder and am not willing to hire and pay the rates that BOC rip ya for their bottles and filling.

Someone moving overseas and needs to flick one off or has given up welding? :rolleyes:

I have people ask me this on a daily basis at work, short answer is no beacause even if you could get your hands on one you have no where to get it filled (Legally) in Taranaki..There was a company doing own your own bottles and they filled them but BOC brought them out beacause it was cutting in on there market.

Edit - Try Air Liquide, They are in the Fletcher Steel building up Corbett Road, They won't sell you a argon bottle but there rentals are cheaper

Edited by braeden.

My D size argon costs $14 a month and ~$90 to fill with argonsheild from BOC.

I heard stories about the cost being extreme but I find that quite reasonable.

I have a guy I know who goes up very regularly to Hamilton to supergas who can get one filled for me which only costs $30 and you dont have to hire the bottle, rather that than $80 per fill and $14 a month.. money I could spend elsewhere. So just need a bottle and to get it re certified which is about $50

I'm in much the same boat as Tony here, my D bottle is very cheap and last time I filled cost me $75 smackers. However I have emailed BOC regarding Privately owned cylinders.

I still have the emails, in which they say, yes they do fill them, however the bottles need to have a specific valve that they use, and the filling of the bottle takes anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks as they do not fill on sight, the bottle is sent away. During this process the cylinder gets inspected, purged, repainted, and filled with the gas of choice, obviously I cannot speak for any other gas other than argoshield as that's all I enquired about.

Overall its more worth your while just to rent one in my opinion.

Edited by QuickSilver

Yeah just swapped mine yesterday, $75 incl GST it is .

Also, on a monthly account you can take it back if you're not using it and you're not charged rental.

I've only seen bottles for sale at silly prices.