Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

Car engine cuts out while driving

Hey everyone,

my 94 E36 325i manual started cutting out last Saturday. At first I thought I had run it low on fuel, but have a full tank of gas in it now and injector cleaner. However, when it did cut out it didn't cough and splutter as you would expect of a car that is low on fuel. All of Saturday I kept driving it near home just testing to see if it would do it again. Basically while driving it will act as if it miss-fires once, then the engine stalls, there is still power to everything. Sometimes it will start straight away and other times I will have to let it sit for about 5 mins before I start it. Also today while I was driving it I noticed it seems to happen in the higher rev range, around the 5000 rev mark when the varnos kicks in.

I have checked fuel pump, that seems to be fine. In my e30 I had a similar issue which involved the crank angle sensor (Glenn you may remember that one) and at the same time you changed the cam angle sensor. I don't think it is the same problem though, I had my car plugged into a diagnostic tool today and there was no fault codes.. So now I am really confused.. I also changed the ignition relay as I was told this could be the issue..

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Oh yea, I just thought of another kind of strange thing it is doing.

The drivers window goes down when you hold the button (as you would expect) however, when you press the button to wind the window up again it goes up about 2 inches and stops, then you press the button and same thing up another 2 inches then stops, continuously until the window is up. why would this happen?

The drivers window goes down when you hold the button (as you would expect) however, when you press the button to wind the window up again it goes up about 2 inches and stops, then you press the button and same thing up another 2 inches then stops, continuously until the window is up. why would this happen?

is that while the engine is running? my car did that as well. but was just on accessories ignition. battery was weak and once i changed it it went away

If your new car is a coupe, its likely to be the window motor itself. Bring it over and I can check both problems for you Shantelle. Ring first though, were very busy at the moment :D

Edited by *Glenn*

is that while the engine is running? my car did that as well. but was just on accessories ignition. battery was weak and once i changed it it went away

This is all the time, thought it would just be something like the switch, (at least thats what I was hoping for) I hate pulling apart coupe doors :s

If your new car is a coupe, its likely to be the window motor itself. Bring it over and I can check both problems for you Chantell. Ring first though, were very busy at the moment :D

Hi Glenn, Yea it is a coupe, are you open Sat mornings? I will give you a call at somestage. :)

Hi Glenn, Yea it is a coupe, are you open Sat mornings? I will give you a call at somestage. :)

Hey all, the beemer is up and running again, managed to sort the issue, was pretty stupid really.

out of intrest would you mind sharing what it was? unplugged sensor of some sort?

I can't remember what I thought the issue was the first time..

I was at work and it was pouring with rain, and the water was leaking into the front of the car through the firewall. Anyway the car wouldn't start so towed it home, and pulled the bonnet off and the cowl pannel, and what do i find, water. The drainage system was blocked, so I pulled the rubber over flow tubes out, and unblocked them, stuck them back in and emptied out the drain. The reason for the car not starting was that the water had leaked through into the ECU chamber, and the ECU had managed to get water inside. I pulled that out, had an auto electrician look at it, and put it in hot water cupboard to dry it out.. sealed it up, and plugged it back in and magic, she started, purred, and was completely fine.

Never had an issue since..

Until the 4th December when I wrote her off.. She is now sitting in my garage waiting to be stripped for parts.

out of intrest would you mind sharing what it was? unplugged sensor of some sort?