Sign in to follow this  
b mike w

Knocking diff

hey guys my diff has started making a knocking and whining sound while driving. Is it r**ted? also i have found a whole rear setup (subframe, diff, disc brakes) on trademe for a 1990 E30 and was wondering if anyone had any idea if it will bolt straight into a 1986 E30? I am not to sure cos it has disc brakes on it and my E30 is currently running drum brakes. If it does just bolt up is there much work to be done to convert to discs from drums?

Im sure all E30 diffs are the same, but the performance E30s may be better...should still interchange?

As for the drums-discs...discs are better. Shouldnt be hard to change You just need the calipers.

Someone else would know more than me though. :)

hey guys my diff has started making a knocking and whining sound while driving. Is it r**ted? also i have found a whole rear setup (subframe, diff, disc brakes) on trademe for a 1990 E30 and was wondering if anyone had any idea if it will bolt straight into a 1986 E30? I am not to sure cos it has disc brakes on it and my E30 is currently running drum brakes. If it does just bolt up is there much work to be done to convert to discs from drums?

All e30 diffs are interchangable but they are not all the same. There are medium and small case.

Guest FrantiC

Im sure all E30 diffs are the same, but the performance E30s may be better...should still interchange?

As for the drums-discs...discs are better. Shouldnt be hard to change You just need the calipers.

Someone else would know more than me though. :)

Dude you need more than calipers. You need the entire trail arm that fits brake rotors,.

Yes the rear end will bolt up fine. Not too sure if brake lines or anything will be a worry, but everything subframe, diff, axle wise will bolt up into your car.

May want to check your diff bolts aren't loose. Or driveshaft. The driveshaft can cause alot of knocking etc.

okay I will check that. thanks for the help guys. even if the bolts are just loose do you think it would be worth changing to a rear disc setup?

Guest FrantiC

okay I will check that. thanks for the help guys. even if the bolts are just loose do you think it would be worth changing to a rear disc setup?

I don't see the point TBH, Unless the drums are giving you issues or you are tracking the car or something I wouldn't bother with it unless you pick it up cheap. Bit of a job changing the rear subframe out..