Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

Can someone please explain

How does this work- Yeah its one of those questions :D

How does BMW get the code names-- not the 320i, 525i etc that works out as 5 series 2.5 engine blah blah blah.

This...

E21 E28 E30 E36 E38 E39 E46 E63 E90 etc... :unsure:

I know its a new code name for every face lift but why can't it be B77 or something like that instead of always "E". Have asked Dad about it and he says ring Cookies or talk to some people on Bimmersport.. Good idea eh :D

Thanks

Emma

Well I'd imagine it does translate to something.

Seeing as there Engines or motors are M10 and m50 etc etc

E is just the chassis.

I - Injected

S - Sport

M - Motorsport

E - Executive

SE - Special edition

Edited by E30stz

thats what BMW call the chassis no.I think its very logical.Its easy when the manufacturer sticks to the same system.I am not quite sure why there have been such big jumps lately.....ie e 39 5 goes to e65, 7 series goes from e 38 to e60

E21 E28 E30 E36 E38 E39 E46 E63 E90

you forgot the E34 :mellow:

Edited by kiwi535

What, are we talking about mercedes

Even then, the original E mecerdes was to indicate a petrol fuel injection model as in the 230E or 190E etc.

Only when they changed to the letter in front of the name and they becam classes or series as in a-class, c-class and e-class etc did the "E" come to mean executive.

As far as bimmers go, I thought E was for the Energy efficient models with the ETA engines, but I could be wrong of course.

As a side note, mercedes energy efficient models were the EC's as in 500SEC. EC stands for "Energy Concept" The normal model was simply 500S, 500SL or 500SEL.

Efuel injection mven then, the original E mecerdes was to indicate a petrol odel as in the 230E or 190E etc.

Only when they changed to the letter in front of the name and they becam classes or series as in a-class, c-class and e-class etc did the "E" come to mean executive.

As far as bimmers go, I thought E was for the Energy efficient models with the ETA engines, but I could be wrong of course.

As a side note, mercedes energy efficient models were the EC's as in 500SEC. EC stands for "Energy Concept" The normal model was simply 500S, 500SL or 500SEL.

The suffix `E` used by Mercedes means Einspritzer in german.(injected in english.)

Even then, the original E mecerdes was to indicate a petrol fuel injection model as in the 230E or 190E etc.

i always thought SEC meant S-class coupe??

There was a BMW 520 iE Executive on trademe a while ago. And I assume it meant that as that what it was advertised as. Looked awesome.

Ok thanks everyone, I have a better understanding now.

Mercedes has big 4 cylinders don't they (2.0), like they don't have a six less than 2.5 or 3.0 do they?

Anyway why the f... are we talking about Mercedes on a BMW website?? :D :D lol

Has anyone seen Aliluya's brothers 330ci ?? I be a smart ass now .. 3 Series 3.0 Litre Coupe Injected :D lol. Well not exactly 3.0 litre 3.298 or something??

Emma

CIA Then haha but BMW probably didn't want to put CIA on it in case someone thought it was a CIA car - The American secret stuf ya know :D

CiA = BMW speak for Coupe,injected,Automatic,the A aint on the car but it should really be used in ads n stuff.

To clarify any bull sh*t/myths/rumours people been posting :P :P :P

"Like many car manufacturers, BMW assigns code names to their models/chassis while they are in development (i.e. - E36/2). The 'E' translates into a German word for 'development'. Each 'E-number' refers to a model series (3,5,6,7,8) with variations such as station wagons, hatchbacks, or convertibles. Models created before the E-system have Type numbers.

Thus, an E36/2 would represent a 1992 or later 3-series coupe, the 2nd variant of the E36 chassis."

Oh ok thanks for that BMA, have a good understanding now so E63, Does it go like this...

E = Development

6 = 6 Series

3 = Whats this part of it for??

/1 Maybe the /1 is The Coupe and the /2 Is the Convertible

Oh ok thanks for that BMA, have a good understanding now so E63, Does it go like this...

E = Development

6 = 6 Series

3 = Whats this part of it for??

/1 Maybe the /1 is The Coupe and the /2 Is the Convertible

Umm based on that an E46 would be... what?

The suffix `E` used by Mercedes means Einspritzer in german.(injected in english.)

Exactly

i always thought SEC meant S-class coupe??

Not so, the following is from page 62 of The Classic Mecedes-Benz by Phil Drackett

"Energy Concept was the reply of one manufacturer [Mercedes] to outside pressure to make cars less demanding of the worlds fuel supplies, and it introduced a number of modifications designed to reduce fuel consumption. The cars involved had 'EC' added to the model code, for example, 380SEC and 500SEC."

I don't think there was an SE coupe. There were C's, SC's and SLC's for example the 1977 380SLC 3.8L V8.

"Like many car manufacturers, BMW assigns code names to their models/chassis while they are in development (i.e. - E36/2). The 'E' translates into a German word for 'development'.

I have read this somewhere before - a site on the net somwhere I think. My reference to E was to the E after the model like 320iE.

I am not sure how the numbering system works except for the fact that it has appeared to have changed recently with the sudden increase in numbers, and a much larger spread of numbers which may indicate that each "series" may now have its own range of numbers rather than just a chronological increase as in times past.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

And a 7 series would be what... Yeah i dunno, Its REALLY confusing aye, i didn't think about E28 or E91 ....... <_<:unsure:

The "E" numbers are chronologically based around the release dates of each model with a few exceptions.

E3 1968 saloon

E12 1972 5 serise

E21 1975 3 serise

E23 1977 7 serise

E24 1976 6 serise

E28 1981 5 serise

E30 1983 3 serise

E30/5 3 serise touring

E30/16 3 serise 4WD

E32 1987 7 serise

E32/2 7 serise LWB

E34 1988 5 serise