Sign in to follow this  
shadowninja

Crash Safety

At a NY Eve party last night I saw a copy of the 'Dog & Lemon' guide to cars ... of course first thing I did is turn to the bimmer section. One thing that surprised me is that in terms of safety the E36 rated WORSE than the E30. In fact the E36 was rated one star out of five.

Both E30 & E36 were rated overall a "not recommended" followed by the E46 that rated "good, but god help you if something goes wrong with it."

a guy at work told me the other day that the new five only scored one star for the crash tests?????

I'd call bollocks on 1 star for the new 5 series. I'd expect around 4.

For current models the following ANCAP ratings:

3 series - 4

X5 - 5

Z4 - 4

Mini - 4

No rating on the LTSA website for the new 5 series. I remember reading an article about a new model of BMW when it got 4 stars, BMW's comment was "you need to take into account the active safety features as well as passive ones" ie- the stability control, traction control etc.

I have a copy of the 2004 Dog & Lemon. If you read the whole thing (i.e. the articles at the beginning, obviously not every page!) you will discover that the authors are total cynics, and don't trust the automobile manufacturing industry. They rate EVERY sports car as not recommended because more people die in sports cars than any others to give you an example of how loopy those guys are.

The guide is invaluable as a pre-purchase tool as because it is so picky and in depth on known problems with cars, you can use it as a head's-up when looking at a used car in terms of what to look for, but in no way should you believe it all, or take it too much to heart. For instance, it advises readers to avoid E30's with more than 150000kms like the plague - and as we know, a well looked after example with many more kms than this if priced reasonably is a perfectly good automobile.

E39 5 series got a 4 star EuroNCAP, or 74%. I would think the E60 is better. Remeber the E39 came out in 1995, I'm looking at a 2002 source, so thats not bad.