Sign in to follow this  
Mark

DIY: All Red Tail lights

I realise this mod has been well documented on BS recently. However, I thought it would be good to have a complete walkthrough in one thread as I know it was a PITA trolling through tonnes of threads all with different bits and pieces of information.

Here's how I did it:

1) Bought this stuff from Mitre 10. ($10-15)

post-2031-1255142693.jpg

2) Masked up the lights leaving only the amber section to be painted. Scuffed the surface with 600 grit for better adhesion. Removed all contaminants with wax and grease remover.

3) Began to spray. You need to do this all in one coat, otherwise it mottles and looks shite. So hold the can about 25cm from the lens and spray in light, even strokes until you gradually build up to the desired colour. I left mine slightly "blood orange" but the more you apply the redder the finish gets.

post-2031-1255142968.jpg

4) Leave to dry for three hours, then reinstall the lights. Unfortunately I found some nice chunks of car cancer while removing the lights; one piece of which will require a steel patch to be fabricated, so off to a rust repairer next week.  :rolleyes:

5) Result. And a comparison with the normal amber colour.

post-2031-1255143191.jpg

post-2031-1255143249.jpg

post-2031-1255143293.jpg

TIPS: 

- The best part about using the Plasti-Kote product is that if you stuff it up you can soak the light in very hot water and the paint will scrape off.

- If using a clear coat use a compatible Plasti-Kote product. Some clearcoats will destroy and melt the finish. 

P.S: Cheers to all those whose posts and threads I referenced to help me do this mod: Penry, Glenn, Indecorous, Frantic, Shady + more I'm sure.  :)

E: Added approx price to spray

Edited by Simon*

I found out about that clearcoat thing the HARD way. Sprayed it on then, oh bugger paint melts off :lol: all good, took me a lil while to thoroughly clean light to repaint though...came out mint in the end.

I also suggest, if the rest of the light is dulled due to aging, mask up the reverse light and then paint the whole light. Will freshen it up. Mine werent dulled but I wanted it to all look even so I painted the whole light, not including the reverse lens.

Edited by Shady

Another good writeup mate.

Have found that some people are finding it hard to get a hold of the tint spray. Your local Mitre ten WILL stock it. If they don't, they can DEFINITLY get it in, if they say they cant- they are lying.

If you still have no luck I can order them and send them to you for $10+ freight.

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys but was wondering if anyone has done this on e36 lights...all the aftermarkets appear to be chromes or tints, what i'm not so keen on!

dunno much about this, but wont it fail WOF if the indicators dont light up amber?

i guess not, coz a lotta US cars come with red indicators anywayz (Dodge Rams/Chevy Corvettes etc).....is it different for Euros?

I think you can have red indicators on any car

biggest concern would be visibility