Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Wellington Show and Shine

Finally got the time, kids out, wife obliging etc to have a bash with a clay bar, detailer and carnuba wax......here's the results.

post-9-1104625845.jpg

I have to admit its bl00dy time consuming that clay bar but its an amazing difference I strongly recommend you give it a try.

I used it on the alloys aswell and it got all the tar off them, just a shame they have more bits of tar on them already !

Lets hope the Wellington weather stays kind and the car gets to stay in this condition for longer than 24 hours.

You can also see why I was so pi$$ed that pr!ck at powerhaus scratched the front tints to get them removed for the compliance check. I wasnt expecting an exact match, but wouldve thought there was somewhere here who would have blue tints and not only green.

Can you buy the tint in rolls anywhere ?

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by martyyn

Oooooooooooooooo Lookin good........ :o

Could you please post a couple of pics of the interior and engine bay ..........PLEASE...... :D:lol: :mosh: :thumb:

You've done a very good job with the wax, the car looks in really good nic. Well done. :D

You want 5% blue or 35% blue .. cause i've got some 5% blue at home ... that's what was on the E36 ...

sheesh mate youre a bit early!!!!Looks like where on for a good turnout,had about 10 cars last time ranging from a a 1970 something 3.0 a few e30's Hugh tunleys immaculate 635,my 535 and a coupla e 46's

Now about that clabar....

The "high" pics stellin park or tinakori hill ????,round there somewhere?

BMW POWER....

Ill get some engine bay pics after Ive fixed the bonnet cable which is presently knackered. Getting into the engine at the moment means pushing the grill, pulling off the chrome surround, levering out the grill, pulling the latch whilst, pulling the cable and lifting the bonnet !

Munts316i....

Supercharger would be very nice :mosh:

bmwsparkle....

I know what your saying about black, but mine do have a slight blue colouring which to be honest I hadnt really noticed until it was pointed out. I went to TintMagic in Porirua and the guy was very helpful but said the best he could do was a green tint thats a little too metalic for my liking.

Im going to try and get some better tints in the new year....just too many expenses at this time of year so they will have to wait.

Andrew....

I tried to find the Meguiars bar but couldnt find one anywhere so had to settle for the Mothers brand. Picked up a bar, detailer and wax package as a trial and found them to be very good. The bar takes some practice and Id say Id done at least half the car before I got any good at it.

The difference on mine is local rather than all over but that doesnt suprise me as its only 8 years old, but I can imagine it would be fantastic for something older. Several friends with E32's have raved about the Meguiars bars.

Kiwi535....

I havent been able to get to any meets in Wellington so far, so just wanted to have a go when the opportunity arose. Having come back from England and having two young kids, time for washing and waxing is well down the list of priorities :(

The 'high' pictures are on Orangi Kaupapa Road, I live in Northland about 2 mins away and drive down there regularly. Took the photo's to wind up my English mates who are currently huddled around their fireplaces !

Cheers

Martyn

Whoa sounds like a bit of trouble to get in there..... Just when its sorted ... if its not too much trouble..... :D

Thanks for that anyway.

Guest Andrew

Andrew....

I tried to find the Meguiars bar but couldnt find one anywhere so had to settle for the Mothers brand. Picked up a bar, detailer and wax package as a trial and found them to be very good. The bar takes some practice and Id say Id done at least half the car before I got any good at it.

The difference on mine is local rather than all over but that doesnt suprise me as its only 8 years old, but I can imagine it would be fantastic for something older. Several friends with E32's have raved about the Meguiars bars.

What was your method? I've only had a small play with it at work.

What was your method? I've only had a small play with it at work.

I got myself the 'kit' to have a play with. The idea is you wash the car and ensure its clean and dry, then you use the detailer spray they have and make sure the car surface is thoroughly wet before brushing the bar backwards and forwards over the body.

What I found was that the spray was far too lubricating and it didnt appear to be doing everything. I also didnt want to be there all day so as I went I get more experienced with the amount to use and slowly but surely found the best method was the spray a minimal amount on the car but spray a little on the bar itself.

You soon end up getting it right as you can 'feel' the bar scraping the top layers of wax and grit off.

When I say mine was more local that all over, there were several places that needed more attention than the others, behind the wheels is a prime example as I had several areas dotted with tar.

Id paid alot of attention when cleaning the car, but these would not come off, a couple of swipes over with the bar however and they were gone.

Waxing afterwards is imperitive as you are pretty much just scraping off the outer layers of wax and anything stuck in it.

Overally though I was very impressed with the results. Id prefer next time to find the Meguiars stuff as friends have said the three step system they have is superb. Someone on here was talking about it recently.

I can only imagine what this wouldve done to the paint job on my 88 750, so Id recommend anyone gives it a go with the older cars as you really see just how much junk is on your car with this thing.

Just be careful as its a slippery as soap with the lubricant and you can drop it very easily, if its dropped on a gritty driveway, then game over you have to bin the bar.

I put a towel on the floor where I was working and it saved me more than once I can tell you.

This was a big help too....

http://www.customrodderweb.com/tech/0409cr_mothers2/

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by martyyn

Hey martyyn, regarding your bonnet prob - this is from the sept TBMW and although the car in question is a different model, it may work and be worth a try.

"Q. Please help! I have a 1989 320i and the bonnet cable has just broken. How on earth do you get the bonnet open?

A. That's easy! Look inside the passenger front grille, between the centre chrome grille and the headlamps, and you see two 10mm bolts that hold the bonnet release catch to the front panel behinf the grille. Between these two bolts is a hole and if you insert a long flat blade screwdriver through the grille ( a hole will have to be drilled on earlier cars) and into this hole, then twist the screwdriver, you'll find that the bonnet will open."

Now obviously this won't work exactly on an E38, but there may be a similar method for it.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Guest Andrew

Overally though I was very impressed with the results. Id prefer next time to find the Meguiars stuff as friends have said the three step system they have is superb. Someone on here was talking about it recently.

I looked today and couldn't find a meguairs clay bar system?

Are you sure your not getting confused with the Meguairs 3 step paint stuff.. the Cleaner, Polish and Wax?

Are you sure your not getting confused with the Meguairs 3 step paint stuff.. the Cleaner, Polish and Wax?

They definately do one, but Ive not been able to find one in NZ yet.

Where's the best place to get Meguairs stuff from ? Ive found a car place in Wellington (cant remember the name - might have been Repco now I think of it) that had a selection but from what I remember they didnt have everything.

Cheers

Martyn

Now obviously this won't work exactly on an E38, but there may be a similar method for it.

Thanks Bravo,

I saw that one too....if only it were that easy on the 740 !

Its definately the cable thats knackered as its extremely loose once its gets past the first latch on the left as you look at the car.

Its no big deal getting into the car, just took me most of the morning trying to figure it out and find something on the web.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by martyyn

Guest Andrew

They definately do one, but Ive not been able to find one in NZ yet.

Where's the best place to get Meguairs stuff from ? Ive found a car place in Wellington (cant remember the name - might have been Repco now I think of it) that had a selection but from what I remember they didnt have everything.

Cheers

Martyn

Repco and Supercheap seem to stock most of the stuff.