Sign in to follow this  
tire

bumper prep

So I need to get my mtech1 bumper prepped for paint. Quick question:

What can I use to strip the old paint off it? It definitely all needs to be stripped as half of it has already flaked off. I can't find a paint stripper that wont damage the plastic :( . Water blaster doesn't have any affect.

Ta

post-2398-1255252011.jpg

Guest FrantiC

I got paint stripper from supercheap. Cheap stuff in a small can thing, use a tooth brush to brush it all over the bumper, leave it to soak in about 5 mins. Then wipe it off with paint thinners and it strips all the paint off. Did this with my m-tech2 front valance, which I guess would be the same time of plastic and left no damage.

I got paint stripper from supercheap. Cheap stuff in a small can thing, use a tooth brush to brush it all over the bumper, leave it to soak in about 5 mins. Then wipe it off with paint thinners and it strips all the paint off. Did this with my m-tech2 front valance, which I guess would be the same time of plastic and left no damage.

Too scared too use paint stripper aye. My bumper is genuine and I'd hate to fcuk it. I found an orbital sander and an angle grinder in the family shed so i'l get cracking with those and play it safe. Cheers tho.

I used a product called "Bumper Stripper" to try and prep my Mtech front lip ready for painting.

What a waste of money. Useless crap. Used a whole large can and still didn't take all the paint off.

Ended up with sand paper and hand/machine sanding.

Like you I had some of the paint flaking off. Found out what caused it too.

The one and only time I ever let the missus drive my car (had to pick up from garage) she bounced it coming out of the garage driveway. NEVER again

I just noticed you're listed as being in Oz, so this probably wont help. How ever when I was in Panelbeating Supplies in Onehunga (ph no: 09-634 1670) they had a paint stripper for plastic bumpers and the guy said it was very good. I haven't got to the panel beating point of my project yet so can't tell you if it works but its going to be the first thing I try unless I'm told its crap by someone who's tried it.

Cheers guys. Haven't tackled it yet.

I just noticed you're listed as being in Oz, so this probably wont help. How ever when I was in Panelbeating Supplies in Onehunga (ph no: 09-634 1670) they had a paint stripper for plastic bumpers and the guy said it was very good. I haven't got to the panel beating point of my project yet so can't tell you if it works but its going to be the first thing I try unless I'm told its crap by someone who's tried it.

This is the stuff I used (unsuccessfully) from the same company to. Cost for the can plus freight was over $50.00

This is the stuff I used (unsuccessfully) from the same company to. Cost for the can plus freight was over $50.00

Ah cheers sp8s, I'll keep looking for a better product then. Did it work at all? The guy seemed pretty adamant it was good (but he was a salesman...).

Cant really say it didn't work as there were a couple of spots where it worked but that was next to where the paint was chipped off. I will say it didn't hurt the plastic though.

It may work ok on bumpers that have had a nasty paint job but wont touch the factory paint. It does say on the can it wont work on factory hardened paint jobs.

Just a thought...as I havent tried it....but brake fluid attacks factory paint... try giving that a go... it wont hurt your plastic.

Hahaha ^^^^^^

That made my day - good giggle

and I never thought of brake fluid even though in the past I have been very careful not to spill on the paint

As Homer would say "Dohhh"

Seriously... I wasnt trying to be funny...brake fluid stuffs clearcoat and softens paint.. worth a try and then attack it with thinners and a rag

The brake fluid didn't appear to attack the paint at all where I daubed it on... myabe if I soaked it in a bath of the stuff over night it would have done something? It didn't damage the plastic at all.

Sanded it with 40 - 120 - 240 - 400 wet grits. Its such a bitch to get in all the curves etc! What do you think?

Max

post-2398-1256969529.jpg

post-2398-1256969537.jpg

post-2398-1256969550.jpg

Edited by tastic

It was actually tech1 all along :)