Sign in to follow this  
bmpower

Throttle problem

Car: E30 325i Manual m20b25

Problem: Last weekend i was racing at intermarques and MG club day - now when change gear my revs don't drop they sit at those revs for a while then finally drop. So for example if i am in 3rd gear and at 4000rpm, then put clutch in the engine stays at 4000rpm then when i select 4th it drop backs down.

The throttle cable was a bit loose - i have tighened it, and also crc'd the spring connection and exposed wire on the engine side as it wasn't sliding too freeley. The problem still remains though. Before racing it was fine and driving home it wasn't.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks.

How long does it stay at 4000rpm when you put the clutch in and take gas off?

3+ seconds at least. It has never been like it in the last 8,000kms i have owned and drivin it for! Its not just at 4,000rpm - its at any rev range. I just used that as an example! Even static idling if i rev the car it sits up there then drops back down to idle.

Edited by bmpower

Check the TPS it might not be coming back or reading throttle position (idle). And also check for air leaks. The diagpram in the throttle damper could be knackered as well..check that too

Edited by *Glenn*

I have an air leak on my m50 and it does a simular thing.

Glenn has summed it up well.

Edited by Mark247

Check the TPS it might not be coming back or reading throttle position (idle). And also check for air leaks. The diagpram in the throttle damper could be knackered as well..check that too

Excuse my noobness - how do i check my throttle position sensor Glenn?

Thanks.

sounds like tps or airleaks, possibly idle control valve too,

remove tps, check the tab is not broken or anything, make sure it moves etc, try running car with it disconnected and see if that makes a difference, also give your idle control valve a good tap with the handle end of a hammer incase its sticking. does your idle hunt at all?