Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Online payments / banking - help needed

Very "off topic", but a question someone on here might be able to help me with...

Myself and a few mates are organising a bus trip and need a quick and easy way of getting payment from the 50 people who are coming.

I was orginally thinking of just collecting cash on the day, but now I think it is better to collect the money up front (to protect me if people don't turn up). Getting cash now is hard as people are in various centres in NZ.

Has anyone had experience collecting payment for such an event? I was thinking of setting up a bank account and then checking off names placed in the reference field, but this looks like it will be time consuming. I'm not making any money out of this, so don't want to spend a couple of hours each day analysing bank statments!

Is there anything available on the internet that can assist me? I was thinking of something like Paypal or even a credit card facility, I don't mind paying a transaction fee if it will make payment simple. In an ideal world, there would be a system which emails me with the name of the payer and the amount they have paid.

I looked into ASB's Pago, but you can only receive payments from other Pago users. Getting my mates to sign up before they could pay me would probably annoy them!

I use Paypal all the time, but to be honest you'll probably need everyone sign up regardless of what you use but surely everyone uses internet banking now ?

You might have to take it on the chin and just have them deposit the money into your account. Can you open a seperate account online and only give out that number ? At least then you wont need to sort it from your day to day stuff.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah i think just open a new acc and since most people use online banking it would be far simpler that way, Just tell everyone they need to use first inital of their name and full last name and cross them of your list. Can't be that hard to skim over your bank account at deposits and cross of the names.

I use http://www.paymex.co.nz/ for my business credit card payments from people out of town - it costs 55cents plus 3.5 % but you get sent an email with the payers details etc, and they have a good accounting system, plus you can use it to accept credit card over the phone.

Yeah i think just open a new acc and since most people use online banking it would be far simpler that way, Just tell everyone they need to use first inital of their name and full last name and cross them of your list. Can't be that hard to skim over your bank account at deposits and cross of the names.

this is your best solution.

you can open and close a new online (no fees) account very easily , in fact i think you can do it over the phone.

the little time it will take you to check your bank statement every couple of days will be nothing compared to setting up a fancy system to do it for you. plus the added cost of something like paypal which takes away a decent percentage of the transaction.

don't be lazy, you should be checking your bank statement regularly anyway.

i wouldnt even bother with a seperate account.Get the people to put the ir name as a reference,you can check online evry night....wouldnt take much to recognise the transactions,its not as though you have many many transactions every day

^^^ this is what we do for all our group payments for things...

Name / Forum Name / etc... as referance...

Edited by DRTDVL

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions.

Ended up ringing my bank (National) and they set me up with another account in under 5 mins. Best of all, they still have me as being Tertiary, and have applied the same "no fee" scheme to this new account.