Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Clutch?

OK, so I managed to get a decent battery into the convertible (E30 325i manual) for the first time since last December and it started (1st time!). Knowing I was extremely lucky, I was happy as.

Until I tried to put it into gear. Clutch goes down and feels normal, however it won't go into gear, any gear. When I try, there's no noise (grinding etc), but the revs drop slightly and the car creeps forward an inch or two (with the clutch still fully depressed) until I pull the gearlever back. I can't actually get it into a gear properly.

Is this the clutch sticking?

Diagnosis and solution anyone?

Clutch plate is probably sticking because it has been left for so long. Put in gear, put your foot on the clutch, start it and take it for a short drive. Attempt to slip the clutch a little while you drive and see if that frees it up. If your not sure about this ...ring me (09) 2722546

Thanks Glenn, I'll try that, love having to deal with problems of my own making. At least it started. And the other one no longer has a bent valve. What a month.

Edited by Palazzo

Thanks Glenn, I'll try that, love having to deal with problems of my own making. At least it started. And the other one no longer has a bent valve. What a month.

If its reluctant to free up, put your foot on the clutch while driving and go on & off with the throttle. Once its free, just give it a few little slips . The flywheel might have a little rust on it.

Failing that if nothing changes try doing a clutch fluid change..bleed the clutch... let me know how you get on

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks Glenn, did this today and worked perfectly, took it for a little drive and remembered why I bought it. I had considered selling it, but it's summer again, so guess I'll enjoy it once it's clean. Cheers again.

Yip. Freshly back with a new (unbent) valve, two reseated valves, head gasket, frost plugs, exh manifold gasket, studs, head bolts, adjusted tappets, cam belt, tensioner, water pump, oil and filter. Desperately needs some body TLC tbh, but it's driving well.

Thanks Glenn, did this today and worked perfectly, took it for a little drive and remembered why I bought it. I had considered selling it, but it's summer again, so guess I'll enjoy it once it's clean. Cheers again.

I'm glad it worked out for you... had a couple of PM's asking me why I suggested that you did this and said that wouldnt sort your problem... anyway...I'm glad its all sorted.... nice drive obviously :D