Sign in to follow this  
Johnny D

Humming from rear wheels

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help. I seem to get a whirring/humming noise coming from one or both of the back wheels of my 2003 320i M-Sport. It's got some pretty fat tires at the back (245/40/17s) which are Conti Sport Contacts. I've only had the car a couple of months and when I bought it, it was dead quiet to drive. I'm the first owner since it left Japan though. So now when I start off, up to about 70 or 80km I hear this whirring noise.

I'm hoping it's the tyres and not the bearings, but I have yet to jack it up and shake the tyre as I think you'd do to check each bearing. Seems strange that it's just developed over the last few weeks when it's been in NZ tho. Maybe the tyrs arent right for this country?

Anyone had the same problem or got any suggestions?

Cheers,

John

just my 2c but the diffs arnt much good on these

Where are you from ?? please edit your profile

Probably tyres but maybe something else.. you need to get it checked by a professional

Oops, sorry I'm in Auckland (Mount Eden). Will update.

Thank goodness I have a warranty which should cover the diffs if they are going. Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Johnny D

The tyres are more than likely scalloped which will give you the humming noise. It is probably at it's worst at low speed braking. Pop in and see us if you like and we can give you a definite answer. Our store is in Penrose, cheers.

Edited by zenetti

Im going to give the obligatory smart ass answer that seems to be required these days.

Teach the bloody tyres the words to the song so they dont have to hum

Ok, as bad a joke as that was, it did make me chuckle, thanks Paul! Maybe it's my bad singing in the car that's causing them to hum!

The tyres are more than likely scalloped which will give you the humming noise. It is probably at it's worst at low speed braking. Pop in and see us if you like and we can give you a definite answer. Our store is in Penrose, cheers.

Thanks Jono, I may just do that on the weekend if you're open on Saturday.

Just wondering as well - can you rate a Remus aftermarket cat back exhaust? A mate mentioned they were pretty good, but I'm dead terrified of having a car which just drones everywhere, no matter what spead you're going!! Especially if it's a $1300 outlay!

We had a Remus rear muffler on the 2001 330.

It droned under 1500rpm badly enough for us to have the standard muffler welded back on.

Not sure if the cat back would be similar.

We had a Remus rear muffler on the 2001 330.

It droned under 1500rpm badly enough for us to have the standard muffler welded back on.

Not sure if the cat back would be similar.

Dam, that's a bit of a dissapointment then. I love the car, but it would be awesome to hear a bit more of the six under the bonnet. Bit more research is needed I guess. Saying that I'm not going on spending mega bucks to get one from the states or wherever.

Buy a K&N airbox yo if you wanna hear the 6 growl. Mine sounds sexy as.

Similar one on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-247496730.htm

Thanks Peter. Do you have any probs with the air / fuel mix? I heard that the cones let in too much air for the E46 and it's better just to get the flat panel K&N filter? Supposed to give you a few extra kw's too I hear as yours does, I'm sure.

Edited by westy

Thanks Jono, I may just do that on the weekend if you're open on Saturday.

Just wondering as well - can you rate a Remus aftermarket cat back exhaust? A mate mentioned they were pretty good, but I'm dead terrified of having a car which just drones everywhere, no matter what spead you're going!! Especially if it's a $1300 outlay!

yes we are open from 9.00 to 12.30 on Saturday. I wil not be here this Saturday but Shannon wil be able to help you out

cheers

Edited by zenetti