Sign in to follow this  
bmw325i

Farrrken Clutch Pedal Sqeeeeek Grrrrr

Does anyone know how to fix a E36 Clutch pedal squeek/squarrrk POS. It sounds like a plastic on plastic or rubber on rubber or a bit of both but I cant seem to find the fka. Had a very quick look again before and have left the panel off till i can find out what is causing it. And also what is with BMW and their bright idea with using plastic mechanical and semi mechanical parts lol? Plastic thermo housing... plastic rocker cover... and plastic clutch pedal that would probably snap if kicked hard enough under frustration of one wheeler peelers ha. anyway yeah if someone can help with the loud talking pedal please HELLLLP.

Jase.

You sure its the pedal & not the master cylinder.

alllllmost certain its something in the pedal mechanism.

This is a pretty common problem on manual E36's Jase. I had it for a while but luckily it went away.

The clutch pedal squeak is a notorious problem on Z3s, e36s and some e46s. The problem is the clutch pedal bearings under the dash. They wear out or dry out and then squeak whenever you actuate the clutch. There are two cures. One (and this one worked for me on my past M roadster), you get under the dash (you probably have to remove the lower dash panel), locate the clutch pedal pivot point and stuff the bearings with some good wheel bearing grease. Some have tried spray on stuff but the problem tends to come back as these lubricants go away pretty quickly. Two, you may be able to replace the pivot bushings with plastic/permanently lubricated ones and the problem should be gone for good. UUC has some replacements that they advertise for the e36/Z3 clutch pedal. I don't know if the same ones will or will not work for the M5.

Hope that helps.

You would have a hard time breaking the clutch pedal and i don't think i've seen a plastic rocker cover before?

i don't think i've seen a plastic rocker cover before?

Hes right Greg all the new BMW's have plastic rocker covers... and they warp... and leak

Nick - cheers mate your a legend ill crack into it tomorrow and with a bit of luck itll be fixed.

And yeah thats one of the few reasons i like the earlier 2.5 motors, plasic engine parts are NOT FTW.

Have you found the answer - my car does it too (only in hot weather, LOL).

yeah mines the same mate, only in hot weather or if youve done heaps of driving in a day.

I tried the grease idea that nick posted but theres too much bullshit under the dash to find it easily enough and pack it in there so did the best i could (quick try) and then got mungral with some WD-40 and sprayed the sh*t out of it.

Outcome = no more squeek :) till next time.