Sign in to follow this  
bravo

When good jacks go bad...

I was in the garage fossicking for my axle stands, and I came back to find this...

Lesson - always put axle stands in BEFORE removing wheel! Should have been on the drive using my trolley jack in any case.

post-18-1104819444.jpg

you got served.

a block of wood under the jack (and keep it in the car) and a wheel chock may have helped there...At least there should be bugger all ill effects

skooled.

it would have made for a better repair bill with it over concrete, so least thats a little better.

Did the jack bend at the bottom? Thats what happened to me, only i never got the car high enough for axle stands. I had my hand on top of the jack to steady it and next thing i know my hand is between car and jack... very painfull.

warning to all: DO NOT USE BMW JACK IF IT IS ANYTHING BUT MINT CONDITION!

Yeah, a bit embarrasing. I did use a bit of wood under the jack and a chock. The problem was I was on a slight slope, and the chock pressed into the ground and it simply rolled backwards just enough to overbalance the jack. No damage to car at all except I had to clean the dirt and grass off the brake disc. Even the jack fell away and didn't hit the car - lucky I guess.

My fault really, not the jacks - should have named the post when dumb f**ks get skooled. :D

I am usually really careful about using my trolley jack and stands, and on a flat surface - just got a bit complacent as I only made a last minute decision to try and source a brake squeal and so did the job with the tools I had in the boot, and where the car was. As it was I had to go and get my hydraulic jack and stands anyway to rescue the car.

I also failed to fix the squeal - I think it might be brake dust or something as the pads are not very worn, and no stones or anything. Any ideas on how to fix? I read somoewhere to drive the car backwards with the brakes on until they heat up a bit ti clean any dust off.

good shine ... nice reflection

Hah, hadn't noticed - not as bad as the fat dude reflected in the tailight of the Alpina touring on page 39, Sept TBMW. Shouldn't make fun, the cars prob his - lucky son of a bitch.