Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Is my E30 325i meant to have an O2 Sensor?

The reason I ask is that it appears that it doesn't have one, I can't see any wiring for one either, the car has headers and I can't see anywhere an o2 sensor can attach to.

The car is a UK Import one, inside the fuel filler it says leaded or unleaded fuel, is it possible this model just doesn't come with one as standard?

I've noticed that after going for a good drive, that coming up to a set of lights and idling results in a smell of fuel from the exhaust, so thought it might be running a bit rich, the car no longer has the original engine, but has the original ecu etc. so I can't see that being a problem.

If you blip the throttle from idle it hesitates a bit, I'll make a video clip to show it.

**EDIT ** no longer hesitates at all, I put some 98 octane fuel in it before, interesting.. looks like i'm sticking to 98..

Still smells like its running rich though.

Edited by Charles28

If the fuel filler says you can use leaded petrol then it cant use a oxygen sensor, the two are incompatable.

As for the smell, I would suspect an old/bad fuel line before I suspected bad mixture control.

If the fuel filler says you can use leaded petrol then it cant use a oxygen sensor, the two are incompatable.

As for the smell, I would suspect an old/bad fuel line before I suspected bad mixture control.

After driving the car as my daily driver for a week now i've come to the conclusion that it has the following problems:

Runs rough when cold, have to give it some revs when taking off otherwise it wants to stall.. (mostly when engine cold). still does it from time to time when warmed up.

Blows smoke when not fully warmed up if you take off quick ish (not hardout, i don't do that to a car thats not warmed up), leaves alot of blue smoke at that stage, workmate commented on it, but once cars fully warmed up I can't see it and it seems to clear, revved it a few times at the car park at work today after it was fully warmed up and noticed slight blue/black smoke.

Could oil be getting somewhere its not meant to be ?(other than worn rings) I don't want it to be that lol.

I used the intake manifold that came with the replacement engine installed recently, could there be something on this causing the issue? the old engine ran fine when cold etc.

Cheers guys.

Edited by Charles28